Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All I am in the process of building a dedicated file server for the office. I have decided to use Suse 9 Pro and Samba. The basic setup is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Samba Advice Please

Hi All

I am in the process of building a dedicated file server for the office. I have decided to use Suse 9 Pro and Samba.

The basic setup is 7 XP Pro machines in a P2P network and the server will be a 1Tb raid 0+1. Gigabit NIC's will be used throughout.

What I need to achieve is that files will be created from three of the XP machines and will be stored on the Samba server. The other four XP machines will then need to pick up those files from the server so that they can be worked on.

My question is, I have been reading posts on this board which details problems with Linux writing to NTFS partitions. As all of the XP machines are currently formatted NTFS will this cause me a problem when trying to retrieve files from the server. There is too much information on the XP machines to contemplate re-formatting them all so any suggestions will be appreciated.

If this is going to be a problem, is there some sort of work around that I can use.

Bubu
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

with the XP machines having NTFS won't cause a problem this is because the Linux machine won't write to the XP machines, instead the XP machines will read the data from the linux machines, and the XP machines will write the data to the hard disk.

(Corect me if i'm wrong anybody)

But i seem to remember when i was at uni last year i had this working fine thru 2K machines with NTFS partitions.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    If you're writing and reading over the network, it makes no difference how the disks are formatted. The disk is read by the server service and sent to the clients. Just like you can download files from the web regardless of what kind of OS the server is running, or you can download files from a win2k server from a win98 machine.

Linux reading and writing to NTFS is only an issue in a dual-boot machine where you want to access the Windows NTFS partition while booted to Linux.

Should you want, you can also make samba act as your Primary Domain Controller
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    Thaks for the replies. They have certainly put my mind at rest. I am sure I will be back with some more questions when it comes to configuration time.

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

to make it easier to configure u could use 1 of 2 programs, 1 called webmin which u can download from here

or you could try out SWAT, just search Linux google for SWAT, and i'm sure u will find how to set it up.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327