Find the answer to your Linux question:
Am a linux newbie and like to setup a linux server which will act as a DHCP, DNS & proxy (masquerade) server. I assume any major/popular distribution will have DHCP, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP: how to setup a linux DHCP proxy server

Am a linux newbie and like to setup a linux server which will act as a DHCP, DNS & proxy (masquerade) server. I assume any major/popular distribution will have DHCP, DNS, etc. additional software.. but am wondering if someone can give me a quick rundown on how to quickly set one up.

This linux server will have 2 NICs, one connected internally to the SWITCH with a LAN IP. The other connected externally with WAN IP. The other client PCs use this linux server as their gateway. ALL client PCs are Windows based.... so am hoping they will log in as a WORKGROUP... and get IP address assigned via DHCP, etc.

Please someone give me pointers on how to go about this. Or does those LiveCDs auto config?

PS: I don't mind using ubuntu, fedora, etc.

Fedora might be handy with the Directory Services... coz all windows PCs can log in like a domain then....

PSS: It's not really a proxy server... but a masquerade I need

If you just want DHCP, proxying and masquerading, why don't you install Smoothwall on an old PC and let it take care of all that for you. It even gives you a nice web interface - you don't even have to learn any Linux to do it.

Fedora Directory Server isn't a domain logon provider, you'd need a suite of services, fronted by the excellent Samba, to provide this. FDS provides an LDAP database which can be used for account information storage (among other things), and it will plug into Samba. This is whole config setup is moderate to advanced level of difficulty, and I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner (unless you've got a masochistic streak and you don't need frivolous lifestyle things like sleep )

FDS isn't tied to Fedora; mine was running on CentOS until recently. You can use it on most server systems, including Debian, RedHat, SuSE, etc.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

If you like REDHAT then I would steer you towards CentOS instead of Fedora.
    Reason being is Fedora is bleeding edge test environment for RH. It is updated regularly. and requires you to update often. CentOS on the other hand is long term. It is built from SRPM from RH and is updated using the updated SRPM from RH.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close