Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I'm new to servers so I will be thankful for any help. I am looking for some recommendations as to what I might look at for a server software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recommendations for server software

Hi. I'm new to servers so I will be thankful for any help.
    I am looking for some recommendations as to what I might look at for a server software configuration. Or if it would even be worth it to use a server. I am mainly doing the research at this point.
    If you have any thoughts I would like to hear them. I can refine the following as I get more information. It may take a few days for me to reply as I will have to learn as I go.

Here's the plan.
    I will be donating 5 computers built from reusable parts for a little break area for a local Sheltered Workshop. It will be for the mentally handicapped employees to use to learn some computer skills. I will be unable to maintain the server personally except for when I go once a month for a drop off/pickup.

* So far I believe that I will be using Puppy for the OS either on the PC's or network boot.(or similar)
    * This system will not be connected to the Internet at any time soon except for updating.
    * The server will start out as a way for them to get some idea of networking. And teach them some basics on Internet Safety.
    * It could also be a server with terminals or thin clients. (depending on the hardware I collect)
    * The server will also function as a print server and possibly a web server. (I would like to see them learn how to wiki or blog.)
    * If it works I have a server board with up to 4 P3's and ?? GB's of RAM (at least more than enough).
    * I will likely use AMD Athlon 1700 CPU's or better, at most 10.2 GB hard drives, with 512 MB ram minimum for the PC's.
    * I think that most of the software will be from accessibility projects.(There should be a accessibility server project too)

I have a lot to learn so I may not get this project completed this year. But I will get to try a few things out to see what works best.

Thanks. Scott

Just Joined!
    Hi again.

I have decided that it would be overkill on my part to use the server and PC configuration that I suggested above. After getting some incite to Puppy from its forum and thinking about the way it runs on my Vista PC. With Puppy I have 1.6 GB of ram left to utilize and this is = to what I have with Vista. The big difference is that I have 4 GB of ram installed and run a 64 bit OS. Puppy only sees half of the ram and runs way too fast for me. I am not even sure Puppy sees both cores of the processor. So again, overkill.

For the server I am now thinking about just a good running PC with maybe a 3 Ghz processor. For the server software I still am not sure. I know it needs to be simple and light.

Thanks again. Scott

j1s
    Hi,

I'd choose either Ubuntu, Debian or CentOS. They are based on packages, and are easy to maintain and to keep updated. They are also free of charge and available from the Net.

All my servers are running some sort of Ubuntu. One PC is running my webserver, Zussaweb and Torrentflux. One is running the mail system, Postfix, Dovecot and Squirrelmail, one is only storing files, and the last one is taking backup of everything.

I'm not an expert, but for starters I'd go for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I'm not an expert, but for starters I'd go for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.
    As a total novice to servers I can look up to any who have one running longer than 1 day.
    Because I am somewhat familiar with Debian I was thinking to use that at first and then later switch to something that is very simple. I will be trying to instruct the individuals that use the system how to do some of the maintenance.
    I will look into Cent OS as that I have heard is good for what I will be doing. Some are using it in cybercafes witch is close to what I will be setting up. So you have confirmed the use of this one for me.
    Thank you for the help.
    Scott

Enabling the mentally disabled.