Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a linux newb and I'm tying to understand how to install services under a limited user account. The idea is that, if someone gains access to the machine though ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server Security

I'm a linux newb and I'm tying to understand how to install services under a limited user account. The idea is that, if someone gains access to the machine though one service or another they only have limited access to the machine.

I'm taking a linux course at the local community college and I've asked my instructor the same question, and I have looked and am looking for the answer on the internet.

So any help is appreciated.

Example: On a single machine;
    Installing ircdameon under one account

and Installing anope services under another limited account

the next step would be of course to conf and link the services together.

end of example.

Other services that I'm trying to install and configure are apache and mail client and I would prefer if I could get help on how to manage from bash.

Oh, I have another question. How does one create aliases in the sudoers file? I can use a single user, but I don't quite understand documentation on the group aliases. I'll be looking for that answer in the forums too.

Any help is appreciated, really.

This sounds like a homework question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrontore View Post
    .... I've asked my instructor the same question, ...
    And what did he tell you?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Lazydog

This sounds like a homework question.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hrontore View Post
    .... I've asked my instructor the same question, ...
    And what did he tell you?
    **** end qoute *****

:\ When I asked him this question he told me he didn't know the answer. This question is going a little beyond the scope of what he is going to cover in the class.

So no this isn't a homework question, this is a I want to know the answer question.

I know already how to add groups/users, and how to set file permissions, but not much beyond that. And I'm learning to do this from bash, I prefer not to use the gui. Since this is a server I'd rather not take up resources running a gui