Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay. I know this is possible in some way. There are enough companies out there selling domain names, and I know that though a lot of them may be reselling ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting a Domain Name Registrar?

Okay. I know this is possible in some way. There are enough companies out there selling domain names, and I know that though a lot of them may be reselling through another registrar, a good percentage of them must be starting completely from scratch. Searching the internet about it came up with nothing but domain registrars advertising their wares, and I couldn't find any "DIY" type sites.

How possible is it? I'm assuming Linux will be the best system to use, as it seems to be the best for all other server functions. Now would probably be a good time to say that I know nothing about Domain Name Registrar'ing, but I'm sure there's a way to do it without having to go through a reseller.

Anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Just Joined!
    Deep within an underground fortress I am formulating my plans for global annihilation.
    I would imagine that you need to get in touch withICANN who is the organization that oversees the internet domain registry and all resellers go through them. In order to legally sell domain names you have to be an Accredited Registar. Look at the site and read the FAQ under Internic, this is the organization to get in touch with if you want to go into this biz.

www.icann.com
    www.internic.com

Just Joined!
    Ahhh, okay. Pricy, but it could be worth it in the future.

Thanks for your help!

Just Joined!
    Deep within an underground fortress I am formulating my plans for global annihilation.
    Well with the application fees and the cost of all being able to sell from all the TLD's would be about $9000, not to bad for what you'll be able to do. Just keep in mind that the application fee is $2500 and there is no refunds and no promises that you'll get approved. They could just take your money and give you a BS reason and you'll be out 2g's and you'll be unable to sell domain names at a price to compete with the bigger hosting companies.