Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linux box running CentOS 5.2 and i need to set up file sharing over the net. what are my options? is it possible to use samba? I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File sharing over the net

I have a linux box running CentOS 5.2 and i need to set up file sharing over the net. what are my options? is it possible to use samba? I heard samba would only work on a LAN, is it true?

Preferably i would like to be able to map a drive to the server over the net.

thanks

Just Joined!
    Hi i think use of MySQL but i could be wrong.. to be onest am not sure for 100% cause am new to linux

Dont use Samba - it's for internal lans. It uses a protocol, SMB, that was designed by a large corporate software manufacturer for use in large corporate environments. If you want file access across a network, then check out using NFS to do the sharing and use SSH to provide the secure channel over which you share it.

You could also use secure FTP, or even regular ftp over a channel secured using SSH.

All that said, the usual idea behind file sharing is something like bittorrent, which will share files in a distributed manner across a series of hosts. There are many bittorrent clients for Linux.

Whatever you do (sorry vastvet) dont try to use MySQL - that's a database, and not really designed for sharing of files over the internet.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    This is totally true, i was thinking to hard,if u think simple u can think ok well lets use emule or kazaa maby even limewire but than ur downloading at windows clients also wich could meen virus, however virus are uncommon on linux, what i ment by using sql was if u use an filesharing like ftp u can assign privilegdes to users and maby set it into an encrypted connection but i agree that sql has not all file capabilities to send ,also i onest not know what u could use on linux to perform a secure filesharing on the net[what is secure??], it also depends with who u are sharing, if u share with frind or with strangers, if u wanna share programs or videos, however if u search for serten files i would recommend emule or limewire, but if u wanna share ur file with someone u could use sites like filehosting, and make an account if the other party does same u can share file quickly without having to use space on urown pc. Programs like usenext are extremely fast but i have doubts if they are safe, i think the best option is utorrent because it has an search option, and torrentmake option to share [send torrent by email] than other can download and the other way u can download by other people, i know utorrent uses an forced encryption so noone will know what u download not even ur isp!

I stil think to much in windows.. sorry but i think u should try this one, it is also mentioned somewhere on the forum here BitTorrent have fun!

p.s. an "rescue" option could be an VMWare server and instal windows on linux, in the virtual pc u can than run all windows P2P and filesharing programs, vmware for linux is easy to find

I agree that you should not use smb for over the net connections. it is insecure and to many insecure ports would need to be opened. to make it easy to use (because an ssh tunnel may not be the easiest) you could use something like apache and webdav apache webdav - Google Search

that way you can have apache handle the security by requiring ssl and overall the setup would be easier to access and also be secure. lots of good guides in the link above this one especially if you are using debian How To Set Up WebDAV With Apache2 On Debian Etch | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials