Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using ProFTPd 1.2.10 on RedHat FC2. I have the computer set up as an HTTP, mail, and FTP server. I have no problems whatsoever when I try to log ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ProFTPd Config Problem

I'm using ProFTPd 1.2.10 on RedHat FC2. I have the computer set up as an HTTP, mail, and FTP server. I have no problems whatsoever when I try to log into the FTP server using a private IP address (10.0.0.x), but when I try to log in (with the same user) via a hostname (hostname.com, www.hostname.com, or ftp.hostname.com) or the public IP address, I receive a "500 Illegal PORT command" error after the login completes and tries to send me a directory listing.

This system's HTTP, mail, and ssh servers are accessible via hostname and public IP. The only service that won't allow me access via hostname or public IP is FTP.

I've tried adding a VirtualHost entry with the desired hostname in my proftpd.conf file, but that doesn't seem to help. Here's what that looks like:
    <VirtualHost ftp.hostname.com>
    ServerName "Hostname.com FTP Server"
    MaxLoginAttempts 3
    MaxClients 10
    DefaultRoot ~
    AllowOverwrite yes
    TimeoutLogin 120
    TimeoutIdle 300
    TimeOutnotransfer 900
    </VirtualHost>
    Do I have the syntax for the VirtualHost entry correct? Or should I be using an IP address in the <Virtualhost> tag?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

my apologies, i have never used an ftp besides vsftpd, but a tool like webmin can be a great hand especialy on the more feature ritch servers.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Try using passive in your ftp client not sure what client your using but itll have it. And dont use webmin to fix things do it via the cli then you wont get stuck having to use webmin for everything.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    no doubt, if you can handle it, but sometimes tools like webmin are best for people who arent comfortable with the CLI and general understanding of how .conf files are constructed.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333