Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am implementing a Data Server with Raid, using two hard drive over a network... my question is; what is the best way to have Windows XP computers backup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

backing up XP files

Hi I am implementing a Data Server with Raid, using two hard drive over a network...
    my question is; what is the best way to have Windows XP computers backup files to the Ubuntu Server 8.04. Can anybody suggest good windows software that I can install on multiple computers... or is there a Linux application I can use?

Linux Newbie
    rsync + openssh service.

another choose.

samba service.

cool, thank you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    How much data are you backing off the XP boxes? How many boxes? Are they all in the same location or are you dealing with remote sites? Do you have to get the owners girlfriends laptop during the seven minutes she checks email from 12:03 to 12:10 or are all the targets allways going to be up and available? How much pipe do you have? How much can you afford to give away to automated file transfers? You want to do it cheap or are you spending some elses money?
    Generally speaking, backup systems can be a source of job security. If you build it and make it basically free (everybody likes free), how can they fire you? "You realize as soon as I take my hand off this switch a fire will sweep through your archives wiping out all of your tarballs?"
    " Is this true IT director?"
    " Umm....tarballs?"
    " We can't risk it, lay off that young php programmer instead."
    " But...she's hot!"
    " We have to protect our tarballs!!!!"
    There is little a man wont do to protect his tarballs....
    Just some thoughts on back-up software....

Data: just a few files from each computer, like the document folder (that would be the biggest and hopefully several other files that are created by software (just job quotes created by manufacturer to be exact)
    How Many: just 5 now - could be up to 8
    Location: all are local and will be connected to the server by a router. This is a small business application typical office hours and computers can be left on at night for automated things...

I am building it cheap and spending someone elses money, and looking for job security. IT at our office was handled remotely by the main office. It takes over 30 days just for them to work on a computer and send it back to us. So, I am doing IT work here at our office (part time) the rest of the time I am in sales... Basically I want to be able to back up files in the event of a downed computer. So we don't loose important information. I am also wanting to have a central place for files that will be accessed, used, modified... for all of us instead of emailing large files around between people. I just want it to be simple and secure. As for the tarballs....

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bujums View Post
    I am also wanting to have a central place for files that will be accessed, used, modified... for all of us instead of emailing large files around between people. I just want it to be simple and secure.
    Signmem is giving you some excellent advice, go with a Samba share and just burn it down to disk every night. One cool way is to have tar compress the files on the share into a single file known as a "tarball" and burn that to disk. Or you can go with the more standard and easily opened "zip archive", but then everybody will understand what you're doing.
    As for the tarballs....
    You'll come to respect the tarball, young Jedi....

Ok, good info... I do need to learn more... about tarballs and such! I was planning to use Ubuntu server... do you have any better suggestions for a server?

I have used ubuntu, Debian and Vector. I really liked Vector (slackware based) but I never could master the install of software in command line!

... by server I mean server OS not machine...

Linux Newbie
    Ok, good info... I do need to learn more... about tarballs and such! I was planning to use Ubuntu server... do you have any better suggestions for a server?
    I'm a slackhead zombie, if you ask me which is the best distro for peeling potatos I will reffer you to Cardinal Volkerdings archive of truth and enlightenment.
    So it's best not to ask me (but since you did: Slackware.)

I have used ubuntu, Debian and Vector. I really liked Vector (slackware based) but I never could master the install of software in command line!
    Keep trying, it gets to be second nature after awhile. Before you know it you'll be mangling config scripts and cursing programmers you've never even met...

more good info... I will take note, still waiting on my hardware to arrive. Maybe I will experiment with Vector...

Thank you