Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI I am getting problems with sendmail while setting up a mail server on FC9 with static IP. I have installed and can successfully send and receive mails. The problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sent mail appears to come from [127.0.0.1](may be forged)

HI I am getting problems with sendmail while setting up a mail server on FC9 with static IP. I have installed and can successfully send and receive mails. The problem is currently sent mail has header:

Received:from xxxxxx.com (mail.xxxxx.com [127.0.0.1] (may be forged))

THis means most of the time it is rejected. (e.g. can send to gmail account, but not yahoo)

I have setup /etc/hosts file as
    127.0.0.1 mail.xxxxxx.com localhost.localdomain localhost mail

If I remove this line, then instead of "mail.xxxxx.com" in above line, "localhost" appears. So kind of host-lookup seems working. DNS lookup for mail.xxxxx.com shows correct static IP. But I am not sure why it is taking "127.0.0.1" rather than my static IP. I don't know what other configurations are missing?

Please help me.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by meequant View Post
    :
    I have setup /etc/hosts file as
    127.0.0.1 mail.bibbar.com localhost.localdomain localhost mail
    If I remove this line, then instead of "mail.xxxxx.com" in above line, "localhost" appears.
    127.0.0.1 is the localhost or "lo". If you have a line in /etc/hosts that reads
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost lo
    next line -insert internet IP in place of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Code:
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mail.bibbar.com mail
    it might fix this problem.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have exactly that line in /etc/hosts like below (however before 127.0.0.1, does that matter?)

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxxxxx.com
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mail.xxxxx.com mail
    127.0.0.1 mail.xxxxxx.com localhost.localdomain localhost mail

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    You have mail as an alias for both bibbar.com and localhost. It's been a decade since I ran a sendmail server on an xnix platform but unless you're looking at some documentation that's telling you to do that, I'd remove mail as an alias for localhost.

I'd try it like this

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mail.bibbar.com mail
    127.0.0.1 localhost lo

Just Joined!
    Sorry no luck so far. Putting that just gives (as expected), that is 127.0.0.1 is mapped into 'localhost'

Received: from xxxxxx.com (localhost [127.0.0.1]).

So I think the problem is to send mail from the static IP at the first place, rather than localhost 127.0.0.1

Linux Newbie
    Lord, Meequant...you made me pull out the manual...
    In the sendmail.cf there is a my_office_domain_name option for sendmail configurations than can't resolve it accurately, put your domain in there. It should recognize it from /etc/hosts/ and append the IP address appropriately. It should also elimitate references to "localshost" from further email.
    At least it's worth a shot....

Just Joined!
    Thanks for taking pain. Unfortunately chaning that still doesn't work. I even added this line

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, Name=MTA

but no luck. may be i need to read manual first. thanks a lot. (don't want to go with qmail or others, as everything else seems working fine) by the way, is qmail easy to install/configure on FC9? I looked at it, and it seemed to me more complicated.

Just Joined!
    By the way, my web and mail server are on same host/ip. I have setup MX record for mail.xxxxx.com, do I also need to get PTR record or anything else on DNS?