Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm trying to put together a standalone cluster for computing large amounts of data. The cluster consist of a manager machine and a number of execute machines. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP for standalone cluster

Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a standalone cluster for computing large amounts of data. The cluster consist of a manager machine and a number of execute machines. The manager is connected to the university network to make the cluster accessible.

I want to run a DHCP server on the manager machine to automatically allocate IP addresses to the execute machines to allow tasks to be passed to them. The university network is accessed through eth0, and eth1 is connected to a router through which the execute machines will be accessed.

My problem is that when I configure the DHCP server to listen on eth1 I get the following error message:

"No subnet declaration for eth1 (0.0.0.0).
    ** Ignoring requests on eth1. If this is not what
    you want, please write a subnet declaration
    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
    to which interface eth1 is attached. **
    Not configured to listen on any interfaces!"

I get this even when I set the subnet to 0.0.0.0 in the dhcpd.conf file.

What subnet, mask and range settings should I use to allow the manager machine to access the execute machines? The execute machines should not be visible on the university network and vice versa.

I'm new to Linux and DHCP so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ewan

Just Joined!
    You'll need to set the subnet to the subnet you want to use, not 0.0.0.0. Can you share your dhcpd.conf?

Just Joined!
    I get the same error message no matter what I set the subnet to. Sorry I don't have the .conf file to hand but it is very simple, just a setting the subnet, netmask and range. The problem is I don't know what to set these to to make the IP addresses that are leased only visible to the main top node of the cluster.