Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy All, I'm fairly new to Linux, I've played around a little with Debian and Ubuntu but am very green. I'm wanting to bring up a File and Web server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web/File Server

Howdy All, I'm fairly new to Linux, I've played around a little with Debian and Ubuntu but am very green. I'm wanting to bring up a File and Web server and from what I've heard in terms of storage integrity, Linux is the way to go.

What I need from my server is to support a simple intranet so I can play around with web development and hosting, and act as a file server for a windows environment.

In the past, I've found it difficult to get Linux and Windows to talk to each other, Linux has no problem at all, but windows never seems to want to recognize it but that's another story. My question is, which 'out-of-the-box' distro would best suit my needs with minimal configuration changes?

I was also wondering, I plan on doing my web development in Visual Studio Pro and Expression Studio. Does that take Linux/Apache out of the question? In terms of ASP.NET/SilverLight/VBScript, things like that?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm new to web development as well, but trying to learn!

Thanks a ton in advance!

Just Joined!
    I would go with Ubuntu server, it is very easy to use, and you can learn how to control it easily. Install it with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) server and SSH (secure shell).

This should give you everything you need for what you described, and because you say you are an absolute beginner, try using a web administration software set such as Webmin.

I found this tutorial quite helpful: link. When you get the "GUI Installation for Ubuntu LAMP Server" DO NOT do option 1, that will install a desktop, you will be using something called webmin, in option 2.

Install a program called PuTTY on your workstation, and you will be able to connect via its IP address. This will allow you to use the Linux shell on your workstation.

Oh, one thing I ran into, add a DHCP reservation on your router for your server on your LAN so it will have the same IP Address all the time. I normally place mine on the last host bit before the broadcast address of the subnet, normally 192.168.0.254 on a home network.

Just Joined!
    Hey, Thanks a lot for your help!

the lamp setup above will not run asp, you need mono
    CodeProject: Introduction to Mono - ASP.NET with XSP and Apache. Free source code and programming help

in debian/ubuntu it should just be
    Code:
    apt-get install mono-apache-server2
    I am not sure if you will be able to run vbscript though

maybe you should look for a more non-os specific scripting language, like javascript or plain ol php or just asp.net

Just Joined!
    Excellent, thank you much for the info! I'm not that worried about the VBScript, just used that as an example, most likely I will be sticking to javascript. Thanks agian!