Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice. I have a lot of experience with ESX/Windows servers but i have as the perfect opportunity to see what linux is capible ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux or Windows

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a lot of experience with ESX/Windows servers but i have as the perfect opportunity to see what linux is capible of.

I'm setting up a small home server which will be utilised by several windows xp/vista clients. It needs to meet the following requirements:

- File server local and extenal (over FTP)
    - Media streaming
    - Host VoIP such as TS for gaming
    - Be versitile enough to take on more roles in the future

The server Will also connected up to a LCD TV so it would be nice if it could run media on the server itself

Can anyone recommend a linux distribution which is capible of all this and also friendly for a new user to administrate over? Or should i just stick to what i know and stick Windows on it?

Thanks for any advice.

Axe

Hello and Welcome to Linuxforums.
    I think you should jump on this opportunity to tinker with Linux, you can go back to Windows at any time, so why not? I think any Distro will be more than capable of doing all the above, it's more a matter of finding out what suits you. Once you find the distro that you like the most then you can go about customizing everything just right.
    Check this Distro quiz and check distrowatch too.
    zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser
    DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.
    Any of the top 10 distro's will be more than plenty good. Good Luck and do let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help,

It seems that both Ubuntu or OpenSuse will meet most of my needs. I'll give the server edition of Ubuntu a try once the hardware arrives.

Axe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close