Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm looking into hosting my own website from home..I've done some research and Apache seems to be quite secure and easy to set up. But I do have some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

web & email hosting Q's

Hi,

I'm looking into hosting my own website from home..I've done some research and Apache seems to be quite secure and easy to set up.

But I do have some questions...Please bear with me because I'm very new to Linux (about a month or so experience only)

1) My network is sitting behind a router, and my broad band modem is sitting on that router with a static IP address..My computers are set up with static IP addresses...is that going to cause a problem, or should the modem be setup on the machine hosting the site?

2) this could be a very lame question, but I would like to host my emails as well..does apache support that as well or would I need another piece of software?
    If I need an email server, which one do you guys recommend? (I'm using Xandros, if that helps)

3) Do I need to install a server version the OS to run those two services or can I stick with the desktop version?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1) You'll need to configure the router to have port 80 forwarded to the IP of the box running the server.

2) Apache is a HTTP server. You need a separate server for mail. There are many varied packages for this. sendmail, qmail and exim are some of the more known ones.

3) Are you using the server for desktop use? That's not really recommended, as it decreases the security and stability of the server. If you are using a separate box for the server, I would suggest that you not use Xandros. AFAIK, Xandros is specifically designed to be a desktop. I would suggest Gentoo, Slack or Debian for the server as they don't install a GUI by default. Gentoo gives you the most configureability from the ground up, but the other two can both be installed in a very minimalist way.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that sarumont. It was very helpfull

well, taking your advice on board, I guess I'll have to setup a new box to be used a server, which will not be used as a desktop machine.

But, as I said before, I am very new to Linux, and I really don't have the time to learn a new OS only with a text-based interface (although I'd like to), especially coming from a MS-Windows world.

Would a ditro such as SuSE 9.1 Pro do just as good a job? it seems to already have a webserver already installed (I can easily add any new packages that I need)

Any thoughts?

AFAIK, SuSE Pro is still a desktop-oriented system with some servers. It should be OK for you if you don't have time to learn CLI, but I would highly suggest learning CLI as soon as you get a free moment as it will help you greatly...Especially if you ever end up installing onto a machince that *can't* handle a GUI.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    THANKS SOO MUCH! your help has been wonderful!
    I would love to learn CLI, and i guess i would pick it up eventually as i use linux more and more.

but that was so kind of you to give me your time and advice..
    cheers mate!