Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a refurbished IBM from newegg and I can't get into the BIOS... I think there is a Password set for BIOS. The biggest problem I have is I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

help with hardware!

I bought a refurbished IBM from newegg and I can't get into the BIOS... I think there is a Password set for BIOS. The biggest problem I have is I think there is a POV chip on the motherboard. The documentation I found said that if there is no way for me to change the Password if there is a POV ship.

I want to get into BIOS to check the settings, My plan was to set up a file server with 2 drives for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by bujums View Post
    I bought a refurbished IBM from newegg and I can't get into the BIOS... I think there is a Password set for BIOS.
    What do you think it has a password?
    Have you even tried to get into the BIOS?
    What have you tried?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

I tried loging into BIOS by following the screen pronts... then I downloaded documentation from IBM and followed instruction:

press enter then when next screen comes up press F1 but the next screen does not come...

documentation said that the 2nd screen is not presented when there is a password set, so I fallowed the instruction on resetting the password and that did nothing. Then it talked about POV chip and showed where it is (but not a very good picture!) I do have something in that location and so I am thinking I have a POV chip

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm not sure exactly what a POV chip is. But have you tried all possible hotkeys to get into the BIOS? If so, try resetting them BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for about 2 minutes.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.