Find the answer to your Linux question:
Toss up whether to put this thread in servers or networking... We're currently running a single openLDAP server at the moment (2.3.x) and want to add a second failover LDAP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

openLDAP DB on shared file system

Toss up whether to put this thread in servers or networking...

We're currently running a single openLDAP server at the moment (2.3.x) and want to add a second failover LDAP server.

Having read through the various posts regarding slurpd and syncrepl, neither really seems to fit the bill.

I've been considering putting the LDAP database on a shared file system (either gfs or ocfs2) on a small SAN partition and running two LDAP servers which access the same files.

I was wondering if anyone had tried anything like this before with any success ?
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Linux Newbie
    I would'nt do that.

The reson for having multiple ldap servers in master/slave setup is just not to cater for the machine going down (availability) it there for reliability (ldap databases do/can get corrupted ).

If you do, then the only one server should mount the files as writeable.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Linux Enthusiast
    Well I'm avoiding slurpd like the plague as it is notorious for corrupting the ldap databases itself, so that's definately off the cards.

In this scenario I'm only intersted in availabilty. All of the machines / apps this LDAP server supports rely on the SAN so if that's down it doesn't matter if LDAP is up and running because it'll have nothing to serve...
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close