Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know there are older threads/topics on similar issues, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't somewhat dated so I wanted to get some input from the community here. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 5 or Debian 5 For Server?

I know there are older threads/topics on similar issues, but I couldn't find anything that wasn't somewhat dated so I wanted to get some input from the community here.

I am looking to start spinning up and managing quite a few Linux servers on my own. I don't have enough past experience in the field to know all the specific differences between the distros. I have been mainly using the new version of Debian and I really like it thus far, but my hosting provider now offers RHEL 5 as an option and I didn't know if this would be better to learn/know for any specific reason.

If anyone could give me some feedback I'd really appreciate it. I just want to mainly stick to one distro and learn it really well instead of bouncing between them all. Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check this poll for favorite distro for server:

Linux Forums - View Poll Results

Red Hat has been a well proven and great server distribution for a very long time, but the package management tools are better in Debian, at least in my opinion.

Best of luck with your new servers.
    oz