Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am using exim mail server for my cpanel. And I want to create an email account from the backend ( via ssh ) without using cPanel addpop script ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation How to create an email account from the backend?

Hi

I am using exim mail server for my cpanel. And I want to create an email account from the backend ( via ssh ) without using cPanel addpop script or any other scripts.
    I want to create it manually.
    I want to create everything for the mail user manually from the console. And want it to display in my cpanel also .

Help me regarding this ..?

Here is the solution
    Create an Webmail user via ssh

You need to do the following:
    1. Add an entry for the new account to the /home/USER/etc/DOMAIN/passwd file.
    2. Add the password for the new account to the /home/USER/etc/DOMAIN/shadow file using standard Unix "crypt" encryption.
    Note I just Copied the existing encrypted password of the user to new user xyz@domain.com
    3. If you want a quota for the account, add an entry in /home/USER/etc/DOMAIN/quota (I think the values are in bytes).
    4. Create a directory for the account in /home/USER/mail/DOMAIN directory.
    5. If you have logged in as root then change the ownership to user. [chown user.user /home/User/mail/Domain/xyz -R]
    6. Create a soft link /home/USER/mail directory for new mail user xyz\@Domain_com -> Domain.com/xyz/
    7. You can also set the maildirsize by editing the /home/USER/mail/Domain/xyz/maildirsize
    8. Run this following scripts to take effect in cpanel.
    /scripts/updateuserdomains