Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using ubuntu server 8.40 as a file server (with gnome). I have one file that will be shared between 5 other windows XP computer. All that is working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] samba help needed

I am using ubuntu server 8.40 as a file server (with gnome). I have one file that will be shared between 5 other windows XP computer. All that is working fine. I will also be using the server for backups... the problem is samba is giving me an error when my log in is accessing more that one file. Here is the error message i get;

"you might not have permission..."
    "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again"

I have software that will be doing automatic backups and logging in and out is not an option. does any one have some advise? There must be a way I can have samba allow this.

Linux Guru
    No - this is a Windows issue. The Windows machine won't attach to the same remote machine using two different credentials - doesn't matter if the remote system is Samba or a Windows file server.

I guess I can just put both files in the same files so the window computer is only logging in one time...

Linux Guru
    Or the same credentials have access to both shares.

You don't have to "logout" to clear the existing connection. If you right-click on "Network" and select "Disconnect Network Drive," you will see the list of network shares you have been authenticated to. If you select the server in question and disconnect, you will get prompted if you access that server again (assuming your local Windows credentials don't automatically get passed and authenticated by the remote server.)

the XP computer users will be accessing the communal shared drive as they need files but some of the software they use during the day will be doing automatic backups when they are shut down so the user can't disconnecting.

I need for the users be hardly aware the Server Exists... everyone knows that I am putting in a Server but some of the people are really against it and think it is not necessary.

Linux Guru
    You may want to visit a Windows forum to get more details on how to work around this.

You can also use the "net" command in Windows to disconnect drives. So you could also script something if so desired.

Code:
    net use /delete {DRIVE}
    You can use "net use" to list connections:

Code:
    C:\>net use
    New connections will not be remembered.

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disconnected           \\10.XX.XX.XX\V$         Microsoft Windows Network
    OK                     \\10.XX.XX.XX\Folder    Microsoft Windows Network
    Disconnected           \\10.XX.XX.XX\Folder    Microsoft Windows Network
    OK                     \\10.XX.XX.XX\Folder          Microsoft Windows Network
    Disconnected           \\172.XX.XX.XX\Folder
                                                     Microsoft Windows Network

Ok, cool more stuff to learn. That is why i started this project... so I could learn more.