Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've had a samba share running on a Red Hat server for about 5 months now with no problems. We had to physically move the server though, which required shutting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Samba Shares No Longer Accessible After Reboot

I've had a samba share running on a Red Hat server for about 5 months now with no problems. We had to physically move the server though, which required shutting it down and bringing it back up. All of the other services work fine, and I am able to ping it and send it HTTP requests, but am not able to access it via samba.

I have restarted the smb, nmb, winbind, and cups services but still have no luck.

On my windows workstation, when I view my entire domain, I see the samba share in the list, but I cannot access it. It gives me the following error:

Code:
    \\Dtdev is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.
    I haven't changed anything with access permissions, and I'm using the same user account as before. Any thoughts as to what could be causing this?

Linux Guru
    The network path was not found.
    A) Samba is not running. Check your services, open ports, smbstatus, *firewall*, etc. Can you connect to the share locally from the server?

OR

B) Name resolution. The client cannot find the server. I will *hope* that you are not relying on NetBios broadcasts for name resolution. Check your DNS and/or hosts files. Try using the IP from the client - \\<IP>\Share

Just Joined!
    Smbd and Nmbd are running. I cannot connect locally to the smb share on the server, although I can ping the server at "dtdev", which is it's name on the local domain. The firewall is wide open, since this box does not face the outside world, and turning off iptables doesn't help the problem.

\\<IP>\<share> does not work.

Just Joined!
    Update: I can connect to the server locally, with the following command -

Code:
    smbclient //domain.name/share -U Username
    And by shutting down iptables, I can connect to the server from my other windows machines. I'm not sure what changed in the meantime, but now I'll just figure out the issue with iptables and that'll be it. Thanks for your help.