Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, on saturday, my hard drive of a server at fasthost.co.uk crashed. Today (...) they managed to replace it. It was 'rebuilt' with ubuntu 6.06 ("we haven't thoroughly checked later ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

doesn't boot - grub error when trying to boot with second hd attached

Hi,

on saturday, my hard drive of a server at fasthost.co.uk crashed.
    Today (...) they managed to replace it. It was 'rebuilt' with ubuntu 6.06 ("we haven't thoroughly checked later versions on our systems to see if they work well") and their hosting software: matrix. I logged in and all seemed fine.

However, when the old hard drive was plugged in so I could start copying data, I got this error when booting:

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 22

I went into the BIOS and checked it's trying to boot from the new hd in stead of the old one. Which it does. So no problem there. The engineer at the server replied this:

I have had a look at the error you are getting when both drives are attach and I think it is something to do with the partition labels on both drives. I have attempted to rename the partitions on the old drive so that they do not conflict with the new drive but I am still getting the error message.

As I am not a linux engineer I do not want to try anything else in case I cause more problems so I am going to pass this ticket on to a linux engineer who is in at 9pm tonight.
    Now, only 3 hours you'll say, but that's only if that linux engineer starts right away on it. As you can see (the problem started saturday), I don't have a lot of trust in that. Is there anything I can / should do according to you to get over this grub error and boot normally?

Thanks!

Partition naming has nothing to do with it. GRUB uses UUID, Lable or device names (/dev/sdxy ) only.
    Have you checked BIOS? Make sure to set New Hard disk as First Boot Device. Plug-in old disk at another cable point or check jumper settings.

If you want to backup data only then boot up from LiveCD of any Linux distro, mount partitions of both Hard disks and copy data.
    Or
    Put old drive in USB Enclosure and plug-in it after booting up machine from new Hard disk.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hmm, I'll send this to them. You see, I live a few thousand kilometers from the server...

Thanks!