Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Ubuntu server 8.40 with Gnome. I have a shared file that will have sub directories, this will be access by 5 different users on Window XP machines... Question: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

samba recursive sharing

I have Ubuntu server 8.40 with Gnome. I have a shared file that will have sub directories, this will be access by 5 different users on Window XP machines...

Question: I need to make the sub directories shared as well (with the same rules as the parent directory) and I don't want to have to share each one individually, it looks pretty silly in the XP machines "Network places"... with all those share!! How can make samba share all sub directories recursively? (if the explanation is via command line, please be very specific as I don't have tons of experience with that)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you share a directory with Samba, then everything under that directory (including sub-directories and their contents) are shared as well, limited only by your Linux file permissions and/or ACL's (Access Control Lists). Which is why it is NOT a good idea to share the root directory, just like it's not a good idea to share the C: drive in Windows.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

... so then the sub directories are shared but not accessible by the user because of other settings... I will research "Linux file permissions" & "ACL's"