Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All I have recently built a file server for the office and am currently trying to configure it for our needs. Basically what I want to do is create ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Samba Setup Query

Hi All

I have recently built a file server for the office and am currently trying to configure it for our needs. Basically what I want to do is create on directory which will act as a repository for all files stored by the users but I cannot seem to get it to work.

The system is an Athlon 2800+, 1 Gb ddr 3200 with 1 Tb raid 0+1 and it is to be used as a fileserver to seven XP Pro machines used by four users. Files created on the XP machines need to be stored on the server and need to be retrievable so that they can be worked on, on a daily basis.

My problem is that I cannot get the system to allow me access to the directory that I have created for the files. I have set up the homes shares and they are working fine so I think that I am getting the path = setting wrong in smb.conf.

I have created two groups. One is for admin staff and contains two sysadmin users with full root privileges and another containing four standard user accounts for day to day work. I have tried creating the folder that I want to use, called for example "files" both as root in the /root directory from my in account and also tried creating it straight from the admin /home. In either case the windows box denies me access to that share.

My smb.conf entry looks like this:

[files]
    comment = Office Files
    path = /root/files
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0640
    directory mask = 0770
    guest ok = no
    printable = no

This is driving me mad now as everything is working as it should apart from this.

Can anyone help me out with any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong.

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Linux User

dir perms

what are the directory permissions on the actual dir.

also have you tried using the samba command line tools to login locally but as a diff user.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the reply.

Apologies for the delay in replying but I think I have sorted it out.

I was creating the directory using "su" not "su -" therefore the path I used was wrong. Once I created the directory in the proper place things improved considerably.

It's amazing what you can find out once you learn to read !

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close