Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a folder shared with my VMs over samba and am having permissions errors. This started happening when I was using 8.10 but even after a fresh install of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Samba Permissions

I have a folder shared with my VMs over samba and am having permissions errors. This started happening when I was using 8.10 but even after a fresh install of 9.04 it is still happening (I think when I had 8.10 I might have ran an update so maybe there is a newer version of a package and it has a glitch)

When I made a new folder on my VM on the host share on the host there is a lock icon and the permissios say access files (not write). The owner says nobody.

This happens in VMWare and VirutalBox, I don't think it happens when I use a real computer.

In Windows when I try to run programs it says acess denied.

what are the Linux permisions on that directory? samba can't view files that it is not permited to see. It would also depend on if your permisions are share or user based, and if your samba user has been mapped to a linux user.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

I figured it out, I had to add "force user" to smb.conf so it used the same account as my login.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close