Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there some way to make sendmail disregard MX record when sending to a SMART_HOST? The issue is we have our main mail cluster, named mxhost1. It is the MX ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmai, SMART_HOST, and MX Records. Oh my!

Is there some way to make sendmail disregard MX record when sending to a SMART_HOST?

The issue is we have our main mail cluster, named mxhost1. It is the MX host in dns for all internal systems.

We have a special one for some of the system called mxhost3. On some hosts we specify mxhost3 as the SMART_HOST.

On the special servers I run "sendmail -bv someemailaddress". It returns that it will relay through mxhost3.

Here is where the problem comes up. Rather than go off the SMART_HOST setting exclusively, sendmail sees that mxhost1 is the MX host for mxhost3.

Is this expected behavior? This cost me several hours today debugging this and it seems like a silly thing to essentially over ride the SMART_HOST setting.

I'm not sure whether i understood your problem correctly,
    If you want to use mxhost3 as SMART_HOST try the following
    1) Make sure local sendmail port 25 is not blocked & Add ip address of remote machine in /etc/hosts file
    #vi /etc/hosts
    12.167.43.44 mxhost3.xxx.com xxxcomdev

2) In sendmail.mc provide your sendmail server name and make sure DAEMON_OPTIONS is commented,

#vi /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

define(`SMART_HOST',`mxhost3.xxx.com')

dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

3)creat new configuration file using following command,
    #m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

4)Restart the sendmail program.
    #service sendmail restart
    HTH
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org