Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey Guys, I'm new to Linux (but not computers) and I'm running a CentOS Linux server to mess around on and I'm having a good time learning. I've come to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux + Network File Server

Hey Guys,

I'm new to Linux (but not computers) and I'm running a CentOS Linux server to mess around on and I'm having a good time learning. I've come to the point in time when I am ready to format the computer and start over from scratch. I have one objective for right now, which is also my question so...

I would like to setup a network file server using Linux and I want to know if you guys could recommend me a superb guide(s) on doing so. It needs to be able to share to Linux and Windows clients. I am looking for a Distro, as well as a file sharing service.

I can handle installing the OS for the most part, but when it comes to using the console and such, I lack the mad skillz.

Now before you guys jump on the newbie with "SEARCH!", I'd like to share that I actually have. The only problem is that there seems to be a lot of guides on different distros with different file sharing programs. It seems like Samba is the most popular for sharing, but I'd like to hear other opinions as well.

So if you guys can recommend something, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

if most of your computers are windows, then samba is the only way to nativly talk to windows machines. if you are comfortable with centos then use that

I would start here
    centos samba server - Google Search

Just Joined!
    Samba it is then. Thanks for that tip.

I wouldn't consider myself confortable with CentOS, it's more that I just used it. If there is a better one to go with to accomplish my goals, I'm willing to switch.

Samba's website is down, so I haven't been able to check out what they recommend yet.

I could have googled how to set it up on a certain Distro, but I figured I would ask what the people who use NAS prefer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    CentOS is a fine distro, I personaly wouldn't recomend anything else.

Just realize that CentOS is an almost exact replica of redhat enterprise linux, and so any guide for it will be compatible with centOS

Deployment Guide

see this guide, number 20, samba. It should get you started on the right track.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    I will stick with CentOS then.

Thanks meton for the link and advice, I'll get started tonight.