Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Forum, I guess this question is akin to the meaning of life but here goes.. I am not experienced in Linux, just a beginner. We have a small business ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Easy and Simple Server Suggestions

Hi Forum,
    I guess this question is akin to the meaning of life but here goes..

I am not experienced in Linux, just a beginner. We have a small business and need a server to run our 5 pc workgroup. We also use Hylafax.

What would be a stable system c/w GUI we can use. Hylafax can be on sep pc if better.
    Currently use Clarkconnect but I am just not able to service this myself and support is none existant, where we live, for linux. Do not require bling. We have a router that can be used if this further simplifies things.

Current server is Gateway, Proxy, Mail & Fax.
    If router will solve Gateway & Proxy. Then we just need mail and fax & if we use sep pc for fax then just mail and data storage.

Appreciate your advice and regards, Bill

Just Joined!
    If you're not experienced and need the support I personally suggest RedHat Standard. $349/yr which is less than $30 a month for a very very stable system, and support as you need it. It comes with a slow support option, and no phone support but in a desperate situation you can always buy a single call to get support. There are a tons of people who will also support RedHat externally and they're certified (I know it doesn't take much to get it) -- its not a gold standard but its better than nothing.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks aram. Does RH Standard operate by GUI ? Support would have to be by internet & tel as site visit impractical.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That's not really a redhat specific things. Linux and UNIX in general are monitored/administratered remotely using SSH, a text based tool. No GUI is required.

If you do need GUI, than you can actually transfer X11 (Unix Windows system) over SSH to your desktop (assuming it's another linux box, or that you have a X11 server for windows).

Linux Newbie
    What about Mandriva? That appears to me to be GUI operated and simple to use ... or am I being optimistic here. Truely, My experience is that if you can't keep it working yourself then you will always have problems. Even a simple thing like time diff can cause problems. eg when we have a problem the support may be alseep which means a simple 10 min fix takes 8 hrs min... We just do not have any local time good support that does not cost an arm & a leg.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Bill

If you want Red Hat Enterprise Linux without paying for the support and RHEL logos, you could consider CentOS. It's Red Hat, but without those things, and you'll be able to get all the updates without needing a subscription like you do with RHEL.

Just another option for you to consider.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Yes, if you do need that level of support and need it quick that comes with a huge price tag. There is no way around it. If you want someone do it for you, its even more expensive.

This has nothing to do with Linux, any OS will have that cost associated with it unless you have someone in house that can manage it for you. As far as stability, you can't beat RedHat (and CentOS [as ozar said] by comparison since its the same distro). I personally run CentOS on all my, and my customer's machines.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Ozar, Hadn't thought of CentOS.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks Aram, I agree, Linux does not need any more support then windows. Problem is... Here in PNG windows suport is available and Linux is not. Also, windows is GUI and not all linux is. I have been learning some linux but it is a long and difficult path and each stone turned reveals another. If we had some support, we did a while ago, then I could learn as we go along and know that if the @$#& hits the punka help is at hand. Now that it is either "up to me" or very expensive support from Aust, then I am not so confident to stay with a system that requires command line competence above what I have. Thanks again, Bill

redhat is not the only one to offer support
    for ubuntu
    Support Services | Canonical
    SUSE (SLES)
    Linux Support & Linux Help: Novell

some hardware vendors also directly support certain versions of linux, support won't go past hardware probably

as far as being gui driven. ALL linux can have a gui desktop so you can have a desktop window, either gnome, kde, or other. you can also use insecure VNC to remote to this, or something like this (my preferred)
    nx server - Google Search

an nx server. there is a commercial nx server, there are freenx builds, and google just released there own neatx - Google Code
    I prefer this because it connects to ssh (secure) to tunnel the connection.

there is also a program called webmin Webmin
    very great web administration of pretty much the entire system. highly recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast