Find the answer to your Linux question:
We have a samba server setup for user to access the server files from windows. We created a guest account for read-only access. I am working on adding a URL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Samba - Guest Access from Windows

We have a samba server setup for user to access the server files from windows. We created a guest account for read-only access. I am working on adding a URL link into a portal page to open a file in server, but the annoying thing is that it prompts for username/password, I have to type in guest (no password is needed) to go through. The URL I am using is like file://server/dir/file, I am wondering whether I can somehow pass in the username of guest through the URL, so user will not get prompted.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

May I suggest out-of-box thinking? Why should ro access be thru Samba? Start up some lightweight HTTP server and that's it.

For instance webfs.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the suggestion. Samba implementation is our enterprise wide solution, we use it for other purposes as well. I guess I can build a simple http solution, but I hope I can take advantage the existing Samba configuration we have here.

Linux Guru
    I believe in order to have a "completely open" share in Samba (guest access - no password), you have to use security = share in Samba. The default is security = user.

You can Google for more info.

From the RedHat link above:
    With share-level security, the server accepts only a password without an explicit username from the client. The server expects a password for each share, independent of the username. There have been recent reports that Microsoft Windows clients have compatibility issues with share-level security servers. Samba developers strongly discourage use of share-level security.
    I would agree that using Samba in this manner is *not* a good idea.

Just Joined!
    Actually we do have the security level set to user, that is why it prompts for username/password when user click the URL. We literally create a read-only user called guest with no password. What I'd like to see is somehow I can add something like "UserId=guest" to the URL, so user will not get prompted for the username/password.

Linux Guru
    If you have a question about Samba/server-side, maybe someone can help. But if your question is about manipulating the client-side, a Windows forum would be a better choice.

* Off the top of my head, no, I don't think there is any MSFT provision for a "username" in the "URL". (I put URL in quotation because it's not a URL.) MSFT expects you are talking to another *Windows* machine and thus will pass your logged-in credentials or else specify an account. You can use the Windows "net use" command via a script to authenticate first and then pop your "share" open. The script would be essentially "mapping a drive" first. A BAT file on the desktop or domain/login sequence could be used for this.
    Code:
    net use \\SERVER\SHARE <password> /USER:<username>
    * You are passing a "URL" to the client that would only work for Windows clients - making your "portal" *not* compatible with anything else. And yet you're running a "mixed" environment with Samba servers? Seems contradictory...

* You could alternatively MOUNT the Samba share on your portal/webserver, and then change your webserver to allow it to pull files from the mounted share. Data would flow from Samba > Webserver > Client, but it would remove client compatibilty issues and the "URL" question.