Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Forum, Trying to get to grips with our linux server and would like to start from the beginning. What do I call a 2nd server in the network that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Network Plan

Hi Forum, Trying to get to grips with our linux server and would like to start from the beginning.
    What do I call a 2nd server in the network that is just a file server.
    Also, would this device need to "log into" the main server? I have joined a pc to the switch and loaded Clarkconnect 4.3 . I can see the device via Int Exp but it is not visible to any of the pc's on the network.

I have plenty of guides to setup a "server" but they do not appear to address the issue of a 2nd storage device on the network.

Apreciate some direction and regards, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McKinstry View Post
    Hi Forum, Trying to get to grips with our linux server and would like to start from the beginning.
    What do I call a 2nd server in the network that is just a file server.
    Also, would this device need to "log into" the main server? I have joined a pc to the switch and loaded Clarkconnect 4.3 . I can see the device via Int Exp but it is not visible to any of the pc's on the network.

I have plenty of guides to setup a "server" but they do not appear to address the issue of a 2nd storage device on the network.

Apreciate some direction and regards, Bill
    Stands this Int Exp for Internet Explorer? Or Internal Exploiter perhaps? Assuming your clients run Windows?
    In this case you need to install, configure and run SAMBA.

Linux Newbie
    Hi Segfault, We have a Linux Server and 5 win xp sp3 pc's. No shared data on server as I must have messed something up but we can login and mail works. We keep data on one pc and share this. Works fine.

I just joined a spare pc to the switch and installed Clarkconnect 4.3.

I used internet explorer and found the new device by https:......246 and found the clarkconnect page for the new device where I can name it and add users etc.

Now I am lost. What have I done? The new device is not a gateway server just to hold data.

What is this device?? a server? What do I need to do so the users on the workgroup can save data to this device?

My books on Linux & servers all seem to discuss gateway servers and I can not see any refernece to just data storage.

What is the correct name for this 2nd server?

Appreciate some nudge in the right direction.

This is not mission critical, just a play with linux to learn some skills to eventually solve our main server issues.

Regards,
    Bill

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    ClarkConnect? Do they have Samba?

I'd take a Debian netistall CD (about 200 MB download) and install Debian base system + Samba. Ubuntu server would do, too.

Linux Newbie
    Hi Segfault, Clarkconnect have Samba.

You are saying I should install samba on the new device and then it should be able to interact with the network??

Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    In this case you need to install, configure and run SAMBA.
    Then Windows computers are able to interact with your server.