Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to the forums and new to setting up Linux servers (I have some experience with Linux but not too much server config). I've just setup a CentOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up server as POP/SMTP server

Hi,

I'm new to the forums and new to setting up Linux servers (I have some experience with Linux but not too much server config). I've just setup a CentOS 5 server to replace a previous installation and now I need to get it configured as a mail server. My previous server was running Plesk and I did all my configuration through that but I am limited to a command line on the new server so my question is really, what do I need installed to run as an SMTP/IMAP and POP server and how do I configure it? Does anyone know of any tutorials or guides that may help? I found a couple but they all involved setting up through a GNOME GUI interface.

Thanks

You could start looking at HowToForge

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You are spoilt for apps when it comes to mail server apps. I use postfix with cyrus-imap (for pop3 and imap access) as well as roundcube for webmail (running on FreeBSD 7.2, but I have setup similar servers running various Linux distros). Other apps you can use to setup a mail server are Sendmail, Exim, dovecot and squirrelmail.