Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm going to be going to college, and I'm planning to set up a small server in my room, and was hoping to get some advice here. I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small server for development

Hello.

I'm going to be going to college, and I'm planning to set up a small server in my room, and was hoping to get some advice here.

I don't have any clue as to what the configuration of the server will be, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. The important thing for me is that this server is cheap.

I guess that a maximum of four people would be using the server, and it would primarily be used as a web server, file server, and a server running subversion. Mostly I'll be using it to develop websites, and hence I'll need to be able to run PHP, Apache, MySQL, ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick on it. I will not be running any particularly heavy PHP scripts on it. Mostly just Drupal (a cms found at drupal.org and a few modules for it. At most PHP will need about 150 MB of memory.

I also need to choose a distribution of Linux which I could use to run all these services. Since I plan to use a very low-end configuration I am looking for a distro that is lightweight, and makes it easy to install and update the above programs.

I am pretty familiar with linux, and while I'm no CLI guru, I can find my way aruond. Also I'm a quick learner, and could survive without a UI if I had to, although I would like to be able to boot into the GUI when I have to do some administrative work.

The file server, thats mainly in case I decide to use it to back up files, or just store photos or something. Samba and maybe FTP would be used here.

Any ideas, comments and responses are welcome.

Thanks a lot

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Can't help with what hardware you should use, but in terms of the OS, you could use Debian or Ubuntu server. With Debian, you can do a netinstall and then build up from there. With Ubuntu server, just pick the services you want to run and then customise them later. Other distros like CentOS will also do.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vamega View Post
    Hello.

I'm going to be going to college, and I'm planning to set up a small server in my room, and was hoping to get some advice here.

I don't have any clue as to what the configuration of the server will be, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. The important thing for me is that this server is cheap.

I guess that a maximum of four people would be using the server, and it would primarily be used as a web server, file server, and a server running subversion. Mostly I'll be using it to develop websites, and hence I'll need to be able to run PHP, Apache, MySQL, ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick on it. I will not be running any particularly heavy PHP scripts on it. Mostly just Drupal (a cms found at drupal.org and a few modules for it. At most PHP will need about 150 MB of memory.

I also need to choose a distribution of Linux which I could use to run all these services. Since I plan to use a very low-end configuration I am looking for a distro that is lightweight, and makes it easy to install and update the above programs.

I am pretty familiar with linux, and while I'm no CLI guru, I can find my way aruond. Also I'm a quick learner, and could survive without a UI if I had to, although I would like to be able to boot into the GUI when I have to do some administrative work.

The file server, thats mainly in case I decide to use it to back up files, or just store photos or something. Samba and maybe FTP would be used here.

Any ideas, comments and responses are welcome.

Thanks a lot
    Hi vamega. If you get a P4 with 512 RAM on it you shall be fine.
    I myself had a small dev server with mysql, postgres, ftp, webserver, subversion, cvs running and it was fine. However, I must say, maximum of 3 people were using it at the same time.

If you go up to 1 GB you should be alrite. Just make sure you have plenty of storage if you're using it as file server as well.

As for the distro, I agree with daark.child. Debian (etch) would be my fave in that case: very stable distro and the netinstall saves a lot of time.

Take care!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Thanks

I've never used Debian before, and only breifly used Ubuntu. I guess I'd be more comfortable with Debian as I could use the root user and the GUI to do my configuration.

What's the advangtage of Debian/Ubuntu over something like Suse or Fedora?

Furthermore, I have more or less decided to use two 500GB 5400 RPM hard disks in a RAID 1 array.

The processor is going to be an old P4 or an athlon, the exact configuration of which I'm not sure about. I'm thinking of putting in about 1 GB of RAM

Will debian with these specs, and as I asked earlier, will I be able to disable to GUI by default (to save on the use of System resources) and only boot into it when I need to do some configuration?

By the way, I'm clueless as to what a netinstall actually is.

Thanks once again

Just Joined!
    Hi vamega, it's really up to you. I find Debian/Ubuntu much easier than Fedora - never used Suse.

The hardware configuration seems fine to me. If you are concerned about processor/ram; throw in another 1 GB of RAM and you shall be more than fine.

Now, if you're clueless about netinstall and want to disable the GUI, download the Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS. You don't have a GUI by default and it's secure enough for your purposes.

If you want to install a GUI you can and by tweaking some files you will be able to disable it on boot

Hope that helped. Take care!

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What's the advangtage of Debian/Ubuntu over something like Suse or Fedora?
    I don't think there are any major advantages because you can achieve the same things with any of the distros you mentioned. It all comes down to personal preference IMHO.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    I don't think there are any major advantages because you can achieve the same things with any of the distros you mentioned. It all comes down to personal preference IMHO.
    Totally agree.