Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an issue with getting my students access to the samba shares for our lab's server. I am using authentication through our university's active directory. I followed the directions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues using AD authentication with Samba: users belong to two different workgroups

I have an issue with getting my students access to the samba shares for our lab's server. I am using authentication through our university's active directory. I followed the directions for getting this set up using winbind. I am using winbind for both samba authentication as well as user logins through pam.

The trouble is this: I have no problems logging in and getting access to the samba shares. My students can log into shell accounts using their university credentials. But, they can not get into the samba shares.

A few details: The university splits the users according to faculty/staff and students, so I log in as UMLADCO\username, while the students log in as STUDENT\username. If it matters, they are all using win XP machines with the latest service packs, while I am using windows 7 RC (though I did not have issues using an XP box either). below are the smb.conf file, user map, and a typical log file from when a student tries to log in through one of the machines in the lab.

I made a lot of headway getting this thing to work, but this last part is just a brick wall that I can't get past.

This is on a Debian Lenny install using kernel 2.6.18-5amd64 and Samba 3.2.5

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joel Therrien
    Attached Files Attached Files