Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been running Apache under Xubuntu for quite a while now. It always used to work fairly well, but every now and then a request would not get through. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Apache does not respond

I've been running Apache under Xubuntu for quite a while now. It always used to work fairly well, but every now and then a request would not get through. The browser would connect, and just sit forever waiting for a reply. Nothing would show up in any logs. After trying everything and seeing no apparent pattern I blamed the ISP.

So I've moved and now this is happening every single time. Strangely, a few requests are showing up in access.log, but most do not. When I start Apache, it will spawn a single instance of the apache2 process, running as root. Then, 5 more instances spawn, running under www-data, either immediately or when a request is made. Nothing is ever sent back. I can connect with Telnet and make any request or just type random gibberish and get no reply at all, but stay connected forever - in fact I can't even Ctrl+C to disconnect.

If I access the server through my LAN IP (192.168.x.x) it works fine and responds instantly. Only using my Internet IP (with all appropriate ports forwarded as best I can tell) it will never reply.
    One curiosity I notice is that if I access a page through my LAN IP, then another through the Internet IP, both show up in the access log. Still, the latter never receives a reply. I don't believe this to be a PHP or MySQL problem as it happens even with plain text files or files that don't exist.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Does anything show up in the error log?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    No, as I mentioned:
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperHacker View Post
    Nothing would show up in any logs.

Just Joined!
    try installing a new Apache.

Just Joined!

Question

...how would I do that exactly?

I actually tried to access it from work, and it loaded up just fine (though slowly). But I can't get to it from home, nor can other people I give the address to.

Just Joined!
    check whether apache is listening on the correct port and check for the requesting IP

run netstat -alpnt | grep :80

(80: default port)

Just Joined!

I have it on 55555, and netstat says I would have to be root to see all info, so:
    # netstat -alpnt | grep 55555
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:55555 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 3893/apache2
    That certainly seems odd.