Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I am the biggest Linux Noob out there so any steps might have to be walked through So Im trying to run a transparent squid 3 proxy server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squid 3

Hi Guys, I am the biggest Linux Noob out there so any steps might have to be walked through

So Im trying to run a transparent squid 3 proxy server in a virtual environment (virtual player) for a client. At the moment my OS is Windows Vista 32-bit (hence the virtual player)
    My Squid 3 distro is: Ubuntu 8.04.1 squid3 tty4

Firstly I need to configure this to be able to run in tandem with Active directory so they dont need to authorticate twice and I need to be able to log user movements, (ie if they visit a blocked or allowed site)

Any help with configuring the squid.conf file for this would be very helpful

regards Alex S

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I am in this exact same situation, did you have any luck with this?

Just Joined!
    If you do not mind me asking, why are you running it in a virtual evironment?

The UbuntuGeek Website has a pretty good tutorial for a regular set up of a transparent proxy.

Just Joined!
    I am because I downloaded Squid as part of a pre-configured vmware appliance.

I did write a tutorial on getting one off the ground, but, can't post that -yet-...

But, the best way is to get a fakeauth app, and then do it silently. Add the blocked sites to an ACL, and then set it up so that ACL points to a custom error, which is a HTML redirect. This then points them to a locally hosted image, saying it's banned C: . Try that.

Just Joined!

Thumbs down

When you get that tute onto the web I'll be there in a second. But I dont really need to do it virtually anymore, I need to do it though

Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    When you get that tute onto the web I'll be there in a second. But I dont really need to do it virtually anymore, I need to do it though
    Squid/Squid3 & Ubuntu 9.04 Server Tutorial TTB & SFB

That's basic off the ground... I'll add config when I can be stuffed... but you can always PM me with questions.