Find the answer to your Linux question:
i figured out how to access files on the windows network on my linux computer, but how do i do it vise-versa? how do i access files on my linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

file sharing

i figured out how to access files on the windows network on my linux computer, but how do i do it vise-versa? how do i access files on my linux computer with my windows computer? i have fedora core 2 and windows xp (seperate computers) if that matters at all.

If you can access Windows shares, then you have samba installed. It works the other way with samba, as well. You'll have to use 'smbpasswd -a' to add a samba user. Also, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to set up your shares. Then just run sambad (daemon mode) and voila.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Newbie
    can you put that into words that i can understand? if i wanted the share folder to be /home/daniel, and i wanted it to show up as "daniel" on my windows computer, and i wanted the windows computer to be able to read and write the info shared, what entry would i put in smb.conf?

First off, check out the examples in smb.conf. They tell you how to share printers and home directories as well as give you many of the options that you can combine on shares to customize them as much as possible. Also, check out http://www.samba.org for more docs.

Now, here's a section from my smb.conf for my shares:

Code:
    [shares]
        comment = illusion::/pub
        path = /pub
        valid users = guest
        public = yes
        writeable = no
        browseable = yes
        read only = yes
    You have to have the line 'guest account = guest' above that in the smb.conf, as well.

After you add that, make sure to use smbpasswd to add guest:

Code:
    smbpasswd -a guest
    I'm not sure if you can not specify a password. I have to use the username/password guest/guest to access my samba shares from a windex machine. I don't really care about that, so I never figured out how to get them accessible without a user/pass.

That should get you going. Oh...and remember to restart samba after you edit the smb.conf.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy