Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings I was reviewing the settings for my LAMP server on Debian Lenny. I had set it up using How To Set Up A Ubuntu/Debian LAMP Server | HowtoForge - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

apache2 and phpmyadmin

Greetings I was reviewing the settings for my LAMP server on Debian Lenny. I had set it up using How To Set Up A Ubuntu/Debian LAMP Server | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials as a guide.

I was curious about the following instruction re: phpmyadmin

To set up under Apache all you need to do is include the following line in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

Code:
    Include /etc/phpmyadmin/apache.conf
    I looked at the Include statements in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, and also looked for something in /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/ but didn't see anything.

now phpmyadmin seems to work just fine without this instruction, but I was wondering what it was all about.

Just Joined!
    It's probably just an "Alias" command. Did you put phpMyAdmin inside of web folder? Otherwise you needed to modify the httpd.conf to setup an Alias like:

alias /dbadmin /opt/phpMyAdmin-1.2.3

or something like that.

If you didn't you should have. You really shouldn't put "apps" under your web directory. You should create them outside and linked them in. Although it's just being "clean" rather than anything else.

You may also wrap the external directory in a <Directory> tag, like:

<Directory "/opt/phpMyAdmin-1.2.3">
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from 192.168.1. (or whatever your subnet is)
    </Directory>

So that it only allows you to go into phpmyadmin from your home network

Quote Originally Posted by aram535 View Post
    It's probably just an "Alias" command. Did you put phpMyAdmin inside of web folder? Otherwise you needed to modify the httpd.conf to setup an Alias like:

alias /dbadmin /opt/phpMyAdmin-1.2.3

or something like that.

If you didn't you should have. You really shouldn't put "apps" under your web directory. You should create them outside and linked them in. Although it's just being "clean" rather than anything else.

You may also wrap the external directory in a <Directory> tag, like:

<Directory "/opt/phpMyAdmin-1.2.3">
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from 192.168.1. (or whatever your subnet is)
    </Directory>

So that it only allows you to go into phpmyadmin from your home network
    well I am behind a NAT router, so I think your last home network remark doesn't apply, the webserver is not exposed to the internet at all as I see it. This is just a hobby project for me.

anyways I just did the default install using Debian package manager apt. I eventually found the file index.php under /usr/share/phpmyadmin/ which I suppose is the initial php script that gets called. Certainly there is nothing in the root directory of apache.

Seeing that phpmyadmin works fine, and the url is http://192.168.0.xxx/phpmyadmin the fact that there is nothing in the webserver root directory would imply that there is indeed an alias of some kind set up somewhere, even though i didn't specify one as per my original post. I can say that during the install of phpmyadmin, I was asked to specify the webserver that it was to run in, so I guess whatever references there are were set up at that stage.

Often I find slight differences between installation instructions and the actual install, even when the instructions do use the same package manager as I use.

Thanks for the tips.