Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, This is a two-part newbie question but I wasn't able to find out how to configure Apache Tomcat 6 to display a simple HTML page. I'm using Fedora 10 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Inserting CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE and JAVA_HOME

Hello,

This is a two-part newbie question but I wasn't able to find out how to configure Apache Tomcat 6 to display a simple HTML page.

I'm using Fedora 10 Linux. Apache Tomcat 6 is installed and the tomcat process (service) is enabled and running.

Part I:
    When I browse to localhost:8080/ in Firefox, the resulting page is blank. I check the /usr/share/tomcat6/webapps/ directory and found it blank. I create a simple HTML page and put it into this directory and refresh the browser. The browser still shows blank.

How do I display the HTML page?

Part II:
    In a terminal window, I type "env" and look for the CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE and JAVA_HOME environment variables. They're not listed. I modify my .bash_profile to include:

Code:
    CATALINA_HOME=/user/share/tomcat6

export CATALINA_HOME
    I save the file and open a new terminal window. I type "env", and CATALINA_HOME is still not displayed. I type echo $CATALINA_HOME and the result is nothing. The only way I can get CATALINA_HOME assigned to something is if I type the export command manually.

How can I permanently assign these environment variables?

Does Part I have anything to do with Part II?

--wcc

Linux Enthusiast
    How did you install tomcat, from an RPM or source?

CATALINA_HOME / JAVA_HOME are either set in one of the tomcat configuration files or the startup.sh script.

webapps shouldn't be empty, by default you should have at least some of the following:

docs/
    examples/
    host-manager/
    manager/
    ROOT/

Tomcat 6 config: Apache Tomcat Configuration Reference - Overview
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Just Joined!

Tough install

Thanks for replying.

I _think_ it's RPM. Well, just in case it wasn't installed at all, I decided to download the latest version of Tomcat: apache-tomcat-6.0.20.tar.gz.

I used the Archive Manager to extract the folder. I now have a folder that contains all files needed to run tomcat but don't know where to go from here.

I still need to persistently load $JAVA_HOME, $CATALINA_HOME and $CATALINA_BASE. How do I do this? The tomcat documentation doesn't tell me which file to modify. I tried modifying that .bach_profile but that did not take (see below for more explanation).

Linux Enthusiast
    I just installed tomcat 6 on one of my Fedora VM's

I set the following evironment variables in .bash_profile for the user starting the tomcat server:

Code:
    JAVA_HOME=/etc/alternatives/jre
    CATALINA_HOME=/opt/apache_tomcat-6.0.20
    ( /opt/apache_tomcat-6.0.20 ) is just where I decided to unpack the tomcat tar.

Remeber that for that for these changes to take effect you need to log out and log in again.

You can then check if tomcat is listening on the default port (8080):

Code:
    $ netstat -antp 8080
    tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*                        LISTEN      7680/java
    Or just point your local browser to Open Source and Linux Forums
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.