Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am receiving this error message when running one of my perl script which uses FreeTDS to make an ODBC connection to our MS SQL databases. It was working before ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Perl script/Sybase error

I am receiving this error message when running one of my perl script which uses FreeTDS to make an ODBC connection to our MS SQL databases. It was working before upgrading from FC3 to FC4.

See attachment for more information
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux Enthusiast
    Can't locate auto/DBI/_install_me.al

Might be a hint, have you checked that this file exists?
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Looking at that dir I do not see "_install_me.al "

Here are the files/folders in that path
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    [root@automation DBI]# ls
    dbd_xsh.h dbipport.h dbi_sql.h DBIXS.h Driver.xst
    DBI.bs DBI.so dbivport.h dbixs_rev.h Driver_xst.h
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After reading various articles I determined that DBI was not installed. I downloaded/installed DBI-1.609. What is interesting is how was it working in FC3 before the upgrade.

Everytime I run the perl script the end of the output shows

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Compilation failed in require at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBD/Sybase.pm line 14.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBD/Sybase.pm line 14.
    Compilation failed in require at himgmasteredi.pl line 18.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I look at the line in the perl script it reads use DBD::Sybase;
    and in Sybase.pm it reads use DBI ();

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Hi,

I suppose it depends on how the upgrade was performed

Any way, DBI is the perl DataBase Interface and DBD is the DataBase Driver, you'll need both installed to get it to work.

Hope this helps.

Perl DBI - dbi.perl.org
    RHCE #100-015-395
    Please don't PM me with questions as no reply may offend, that's what the forums are for.

Just Joined!
    hi,

both are installed but still getting same mssg. I did a standard upgrade. Did not install any addt'l componets. Again, what is strange to me is that it was working before the upgrade so both DBI/DBD were installed and still are.

Any more insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi deronvilp,

I'm no perl expert so a bit of a shot in the dark but it could be something to do with this: extending the library path | Perl HowTo.

The error just makes me think it's possibly a path issue or other "simple" configuration oversight
    RHCE #100-015-395

Linux Enthusiast
    Just to shed a bit more light on the situation, how did you do your upgrade?
    RHCE #100-015-395

Just Joined!
    matonb,

I do agree that it may be fairly simple. I am not a Unix/Linux expert. I am more intermediate and not a great deal of Perl experience. I've been unable to identify the issue and or possibly path issue. I performed an in place upgrade. There was not much more to it. I did not add any additional features/components. It pretty much straight forward.

When attempting to run 'make' to install Sybase I get error below. I truly expected the upgraded to not cause any issues as all of this previously working. Sybase is already installed but I am trying to reinstall again

+++++++++++++++++++++
    [root@automation DBD-Sybase-1.09]# make
    gcc -c -I/usr/local/include -DNO_BLK=1 -I/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -DVERSION=\"1.09\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.09\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE" Sybase.c
    gcc -c -I/usr/local/include -DNO_BLK=1 -I/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4 -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -DVERSION=\"1.09\" -DXS_VERSION=\"1.09\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE" dbdimp.c
    dbdimp.c: In function ‘syb_init’:
    dbdimp.c:777: error: ‘BLK_VERSION_150’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    dbdimp.c:777: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    dbdimp.c:777: error: for each function it appears in.)
    dbdimp.c:781: error: ‘BLK_VERSION_125’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    dbdimp.c:785: error: ‘BLK_VERSION_120’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make: *** [dbdimp.o] Error 1
    +++++++++++++++++++++++

Just Joined!
    When running my perl script this is what I receive which has always been my original mssg prior to editing any files

+++++++++++++++++++++
    [root@automation mgawizard]# perl himgmasteredi.pl
    cs_config(CS_LOC_PROP) failed at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.6/i386-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 253.
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I follow up by opening the file DynaLoader.pm and going to line 253. (I have attached the file for review. The line reads ---- &$xs(@args); ---- which tells me nothing. When I comment out and run again I get different error.
    Attached Files Attached Files