Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a small but growing network at a school that I manage. Approx 150 systems now. I have many fish to fry but my one present concern is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do I need a NIS server?

I have a small but growing network at a school that I manage. Approx 150 systems now.

I have many fish to fry but my one present concern is that of users loosing their mapped drive on the one Windows 2003 server I have. It also has the network printers permissions which they also loose from time to time.

Most all systems are windows XP Pro. A few Linux.

There are several workgroups for the different areas and classrooms. Each have different set-up needs.

I have an internal DNS server that points to a couple inside machines, and the DMZ machines, all other requests are forwarded to the ISP DNS.

The DNS server also has DHCP running on it where most of the systems are or will be assigned IPs by mac. Samba also runs on this machine and a couple of classes use it for file storage.

DNS is not presently updated by DHCP.

Internet is accessed through a single NAT.

Except for the Win2003 server, all other servers are Suse 11.0

User machines are presently local account log-on. They are responsible for file back up to the server and to other media.

I am looking for information. I know some of networking but not nearly enough. I am a teacher also so time is not in large quantities.

Do I need a NIS server? LDAP? NFS? WINS? How do I know?
    I may / probably need to switch to a domain system.

If i just knew a list of servers / services I need and what for ..........

I have the Linux Network Admin book which has great information it is just a lot to sort through with all the web links I have book-marked as well.

thanks

Kumado

if most of your clients are windows than I would use a standard native to windows. you can use samba to be a domain controller
    samba domain - Google Search

you could also do ldap+samba as a dc but I have never done that, so can't comment

Thanks for your reply.
    When I set up my Samba server I had made it the PDC even though I used workgroups. I have a domain for this network. I doubt it makes a lot of difference from the inside. I do hope to put in a mail server someday where it would count more.

What all in Samba do I need to set up? Just saying to set it up leaves many blanks.
    Do I need to make user accounts for everyone on the network even if they do not use the server for file storage? I would like to someday also migrate the file server off the Windows server as well. I would need to make accounts for them then.

I guess one of my biggest steps is to set up DNS to update from DHCP.

Again, thanks for replying.

kumado

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    the google search link I posted above has some good links for settings this all up to have samba as your pdc.

since you already have something setup and are trying to add functionality, you will have to take bits and pieces from those articles and apply it to your system.

there are also other bits of knowledge that you need to understand before hand. I am just trying to provide the right direction, I have no plans of giving you step by step help.

but, a domain controller means all the client machines can log into their machines using a user account setup on the domain controler. this is whole point, so you don't have to setup users locally on every machine, you set it up in one place and then done. you the dc will be a user repository. when you create shares you can use this user repository to grant access, so the user has to be created on the dc prior to logging into a machine. if they aren't going to access the share then don't give them permissions.

Thanks again for the reply.

Not looking for a step by step, we'd almost need to be side by side to do that. I just want some of the key points I should look for. Eliminate some of the services I do not require, narrow the search, that's what I am looking for. I think I can figure much of the rest of it from there.

Your post triggers something I had not thought of. I have never set up a windows system to log on by domain before. This is a test and a direction I can start with.

I think all I am looking for is the simple, not the complex.

Thanks again

kumado