Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys, I've been doing research looking around every where to see if its possible to set up a linux application server for a windows environment. What I'm trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux Application server for a Windows environment

Hello guys,

I've been doing research looking around every where to see if its possible to set up a linux application server for a windows environment.

What I'm trying to accomplish is having my linux box which is running CentOS 5.3 as the PDC as well as my application server.

I've been doing some research about virtualization. I was thinking about using Linux as my PDC and running server 08 as my application server but first wanted to know is it possible to using linux by itself without having to set up a server 08.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish? you say application server, but that can mean a lot of different things. elaborate a bit on what it actually is you are wanting to do and maybe we can give you better help.

If the application server is something such as tomcat, jboss, weblogic, you can run those on linux. The client system doesn't matter if that is what you are worried about, since you are serving up a web application.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ok I thought I posted a reply last night at school but I guess the connection failed.

What I'm trying to accomplish is using my Linux box as an application server to hold windows based applications that will be used throughout the network. Example: at my work place, we have two network drives that holds applications that we use throughout the offices and company.

I would like to replicate something like that but instead of using windows server. I would like to use my linux box to do this. IF its even possible. I'm aware in a windows environment you can push applications through to desktops and install them from one central location. And from what I'm seeing at my job, It seems like you can have one or two network drives with applications hosted on them, that is shared throughout the network.

So my question is, can this be done on a Linux server that's in a windows desktop environment. Thank you for any and all help. If your wondering why I want to do this, I'm currently in school for CNS and its coming towards the end of my two years in school.

I've come to a decision that, I don't want to administer server 08 because I love Linux. So this would give me an opportunity to administer a linux server. Its for a little home business with 6 desktops, so I thought it would be a good chance to get my feet wet.

I'm not looking for any hand outs, please don't think I am. I just need direction just as any learning student would. If its not possible then guess I'm off to the world of windumbs...

if the programs can be run off a share and don't actually have to be installed on the server, then you could use samba to host it. if it has to be installed then its hit or miss if you can install it with wine or crossover office.

jledhead thank you for your respones. That was the answer I was looking for. So first I'll find out of this application can be shared across a network. Thank you for your help. I guess now its time to tinker with it.