Find the answer to your Linux question:
Welcome, I have been using linux(red hat/fedora) for a four years, but I still consider myself a newbie. I am searching for a distro that I can use as a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting the right Distro

Welcome,
    I have been using linux(red hat/fedora) for a four years, but I still consider myself a newbie. I am searching for a distro that I can use as a local server. I am going to be sharing many files!(close to about 20-30gigs) I need it to be reliable and easy to install. My system = P4 2.2Ghz, 120G hd, 1.2Gig of mem, 128mb graph card, and dual ethernet. I need it to be easy to set up and get familar with. The only other experiece i have had with a lan server is a ftp server on a window$ machine. Good documentation is a good plus with me. Also, I plan to give it internet accessibility when I feel it is secure enough for the internet. Any help would be much liked.

Re: Getting the right Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alphadown
    Welcome,
    I have been using linux(red hat/fedora) for a four years, but I still consider myself a newbie. I am searching for a distro that I can use as a local server. I am going to be sharing many files!(close to about 20-30gigs) I need it to be reliable and easy to install. My system = P4 2.2Ghz, 120G hd, 1.2Gig of mem, 128mb graph card, and dual ethernet. I need it to be easy to set up and get familar with. The only other experiece i have had with a lan server is a ftp server on a window$ machine. Good documentation is a good plus with me. Also, I plan to give it internet accessibility when I feel it is secure enough for the internet. Any help would be much liked.
    any distribution with samba or nfs depending on if you will be sharing out to windows machines too will do what you ask. since you're already familiar with redhat based distributions, i'd go ahead and keep using it. you can install it without needing to use the gui installer, and run it without X.

well since you are probably pretty used to redhat, why not stick with redhat or maybe try fedora. anyway you look at it make sure that it has samba so it can share files with windows systems and probably an ftp server for access from outside the network. i believe that pretty much any distro you choice will have the option to install any of the software you need and they are pretty easy to get working
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I'm doing what you want to do with RED HAT 9.0. real easy to install very stable and secure.
    GL
    Mike

Just Joined!
    I would install red hat 9, but I am not comforable working with the terminal all the time and I can get x to run for some reason.

Just Joined!
    ok, I did a server install of red hat 9. I am at the terminal. What should I do now.

Just Joined!
    ok, I have a nfs server running but i have no idea how to connect to it with a windows machine

without installing an nfs client on the windows machine, you wont be able to see the nfs mounts. best bet is to use samba to share between linux<->linux and linux<->windows. i use samba for 2 linux machines and an xp machine at home myself. use it for nightly backups (files that are 4gb-9gb each) and have no problem with single files being that size.