Find the answer to your Linux question:
how do i set SuSe 9.1 MYSQL Server to automatically startup and run?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding MYSQL as a startup service?

how do i set SuSe 9.1 MYSQL Server to automatically startup and run?

Linux Enthusiast
    You can do this using yast, it is under the services page if I remember correctly. Alternately you can run:

cd /etc/rc3.d/ && ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql S40mysql && cd ../rc4.d/ && ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql S40mysql && cd ../rc5.d && ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql S40mysql

That should handle what you need it to do. If you want to be complete, you can add the K35mysql into rc0.d, rc1.d, rc2.d, and rc6.d.

That should do it.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    whats this rc0 rc1 rc2 e.t.c

sorry very new to linux, used to windows due to software not being tailored for it, but we made the move after SP2.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    blaaah if your using suse 9.1 forget bout all that stuff ...hehehe in yast goto system then runlevel editor.... much easier....gee ive noticed sicne i became a full linux user my laziness has increased! lol

Linux Enthusiast
    And to answer your question: the rc1, rc2, etc directories are all part of the SysV init process. There is a process (init) that calls /etc/rc.init usually, which then figures out what 'runlevel' you want to enter. It will then run through /etc/rc1.d to see what to start in that runlevel. It will then step through the scripts in /etc/rc2.d, rc3.d, etc. until it hits the runlevel you requested (which is usually 5).

There are other different ways of initting a linux machine, but the SysV style is by far the most widely used.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.