Find the answer to your Linux question:
managed to get MYSQL fully working and starting up on startup, however for our software which is loaded on each individual machine to access a MYSQL database, it is taking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tweaking MYSQL for faster response and access times?

managed to get MYSQL fully working and starting up on startup, however for our software which is loaded on each individual machine to access a MYSQL database, it is taking over 1 minute to load, however this is with a database that is blank, ie no data.

All machines are on a 100mbps connection LAN connection, server is also on LAN (1Gbps) Xeon 3.06GHZ 2GB Ram, 3 x 74gb Raid.

Also, i believe that i may be using the wrong type of tables to recreate the databases structures of our current SQL databases, what type of tables should i use, and which are best?

Just Joined!
    Are you sure that it is an issue with the actual mysql server performance rather than an issue with the software or the network.

For an empty database, the table type you use will not have any effect on speed and there are not really any performance tunings you can make which will have any effect on the length of time it takes mysql to return 0 rows of data.

Once you have a loaded database then indexing of tables and choice of table type can help immensly with the speed queries take to run. You can enable slow query logging in mysql to show you which queries are taking a long time (10 seconds by default) to complete.

Having happily run mysql databases on systems from p2 celerons to multi processor athlons, I doubt that the mysql server is what is slowing you down, or at least not whilst the databases are empty.

Try using the mysql command line client to connect to your mysql server and runing one of the queries your program runs and see what it tells you the response time of the server is. If you do this both locally and on a networked machine it may show you if the problem lies in the network or with the server

http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-12/mysql_01.html gives some advice on tuning your mysql system to achieve better performance. Whilst this is an old article, it does give some very good insight into the areas to be aware of and what you should look for.

For more up to date and in depth information you may like to consider the book high performance mysql. I know Jason (site owner/admin) has read (or had a good flick through) this book and he could give you an idea of how useful he found it.

Linux Enthusiast
    I posted a response to one of your other questions basically stating to add entries to your /etc/hosts file for all these servers. MySQL may be trying to do a reverse lookup, and timing out.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.