Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm currently working on setting up a mailserver on Red Hat 5, with Postfix, Dovecot IMAP, Squirrelmail and Active Directory authentication. I was planning to use MailScanner (SpamAssassin + ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anti spam with web interface/daily user reports

Hi,

I'm currently working on setting up a mailserver on Red Hat 5, with Postfix, Dovecot IMAP, Squirrelmail and Active Directory authentication.
    I was planning to use MailScanner (SpamAssassin + ClamAV package) as the spam/antivirus solution.
    But my boss requires me to find a solution that would allow the spams to be managed directly by the users, when they log on a web interface. They should also receive a daily report by mail showing what have been quarantined.
    For the moment, I found a big amount of softwares/appliances but they are not free: Barracuda, Spamfilter, Mailcleaner.
    I found Dspam and Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy Server (ASSP) which are free, but I'm not sure they comes with all the features I need.

Anyone knows a good antispam which can match this requirements? Thanks !

Just Joined!
    I believe Maia Mailguard maybe exactly what you're looking for.

Maia Mailguard ? Trac

Used it my self, looks a little untidy aesthetically but nothing a little tweeking won't solve. We wanted the ability to search for emails to/from specific users from the admin login and we had to write that feature ourselves but it only took my a couple of days and I'm no PHP guru.

It does all the email reports. It can send a daily digest of quarantined emails that can be released by the user using their login on a web interface. It can also learn as the users mark emails as false-postives/negatives.

Antonio

I am not 100% sure, as I havn't used it for Linux Mailserver yet.
    But I think Kaspersky allows you to do this..
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoX2000 View Post
    I believe Maia Mailguard maybe exactly what you're looking for.

Used it my self, looks a little untidy aesthetically but nothing a little tweeking won't solve. We wanted the ability to search for emails to/from specific users from the admin login and we had to write that feature ourselves but it only took my a couple of days and I'm no PHP guru.

It does all the email reports. It can send a daily digest of quarantined emails that can be released by the user using their login on a web interface. It can also learn as the users mark emails as false-postives/negatives.

Antonio
    Sorry for the late answer and thank you Antonio, this is what I've been looking for !
    I've installed Maia Mailguard (and the huge bunch of prerequisites...) and done some tests, but it seems that I see nothing in the Maia user webinterface when a spam get blocked.
    Also when I try to send a mail with a Eicar-test virus attached, it gets blocked, but nothing appears in the webinterface.

Can you point me to the configuration files I should look for? For the moment I've followed the tutorial on Maia website, but did not fine-tuned it.

Thanks !

lots of goodies here
    WebUserInterfaces - Spamassassin Wiki

this is for fedora, but might be close enough to redhat to apply
    Fedora Core 5 Maia Mailguard installation HOWTO (kind of)

Just Joined!
    Actually, I think I found the reason why I got nothing in Maia webinterface.
    The defined settings are taken into account, because when I raise/lower the spam score quarantine in the webinterface, it appears on my headers.
    The white/blacklisting also works, as mail from those senders are correctly allowed or killed.
    On Maia mailguard site, here is what we can read:

A classic example of this is the amavis system of "tag levels", where it's possible to define a score level at which an item is declared to be "spam", and a higher score level at which the item is actually quarantined. Having these two thresholds as separate items was important in the days before Maia, when the "kill level" often meant discarding the mail item, and rendering it inaccessible to the recipient. With quarantine management, on the other hand, it becomes safe and practical to set these two thresholds to the same value, because no mail is ever lost or rendered inaccessible to the recipient.
    So, having tag2 and kill at the same score should be normal (changing tag2 score in the webinterface changes the kill score too), but I don't my spams quarantined in the user interface, they only appear in /var/virusmails/spam-randomstring.gz
    The result is that the spam report/statistics show no figures, as nothing can be reviewed by the users.

Code:
    Nov 15 21:23:45 host.domain.tld /usr/sbin/amavisd[18072]: (18072-03) local delivery: <> -> spam-quarantine, mbx=/var/virusmails/spam-qbjxu2DNlQV8.gz
    Nov 15 21:23:45 host.domain.tld /usr/sbin/amavisd[18072]: (18072-03) SPAM, <from@from> -> <recipient@recipient.fr>, Yes, score=6.282 tag=-999 tag2=5 kill=5 tests=[AWL=-0.618, DATE_IN_FUTURE_96_XX=3.899, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, MIME_HTML_MOSTLY=0.001, RDNS_NONE=0.1, TVD_SPACE_RATIO=2.899] autolearn=no, quarantine qbjxu2DNlQV8 (spam-quarantine,spam-quarantine)
    Installation was done using regular configuration given in the tuto and example files. Has anyone an idea about what's going wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT:
    In /etc/amavisd.conf, my $QUARANTINEDIR is set to /var/virusmails, but Maia install doc states that this setting is irrelevant as quarantining should takes place within the database...

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, the binaries I was using were amavisd and not amavisd-maia ones, I made the changes but did not checked them...