Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to setup a system user to allow access to the root of the server through FTP. I was told from godaddy I would have to manually do this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Access Root thru FTP - CentOS SSH editing? godaddy host

Im trying to setup a system user to allow access to the root of the server through FTP.

I was told from godaddy I would have to manually do this through SSH, and they could not provide documentation on how to achieve this. So here I am

I have not even touched SSH at all and am using Simple Control Panel to do all this any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Hello and Welcome.
    I'm not sure you would want FTP, so I'm including an SSH tutorial link. Hopefully it will help you understand what it is that you need to do.
    SSH Tutorial for Linux - Support Documentation
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    yep I want FTP lol it's because I'll have 40+ different sites on the same server and I dont want to have to login to the system users individually to access one site, I'd like to use one main FTP system user to access them all so i dont have to deal with that

Thanks for your Reply though ill check into it, but I didnt see details on what I needed

if you have root access, and ssh is enabled, then you can scp or sftp, whichever you prefer. most ftp clients also support sftp just by changing the port to 22, filezilla is a free one that does. there is also winscp if you are a windows user. you will connect in with root access (if thats how you login) and be able to access the entire file system

Just Joined!
    thats the deal is I dont have root access, godaddy said I would have to enable it through some kind of modification using SSH to one of my system user's im assuming