Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, recently I created a PDC with Samba for my LAN, and after all seems to work I found a little problem I would like to solve. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Samba - directory umask and personal umask

Hi everybody,

recently I created a PDC with Samba for my LAN, and after all seems to work I found a little problem I would like to solve.

I have a shared directory called dir1, and I would like that when domain users create files and directories into the shared directory, they had 775 permissions. So, here is the code:

Code:
    [dir1]
       comment = temp
       path = /home/shared/dir1
       read only = no
       browaseable = yes
       create mask = 0775
       directiry mask = 0775
    The problem is that when a user create a directory or a file into this shared directory, they are created with the USER mask (755) and NOT with Samba shared directory mask (775).

So the question is: how can I give "preference" to Samba shared directoy mask??

Just Joined!
    Obviosuly I didn't find these parameters that do exactly what I want:

Code:
    force create mode = 0775
    force directory mode = 0775
    I was confused because in many places, the description of create mask and directory mask are confused, so here is my description:

directory mask: makes these mask as the "max permissions" about the created directories.
    create mask: makes these mask as the "max permissions" about the created files.

So, if the mask of a user is set to 700, the files and directories created there will be 700.

But, if the mask of the user is set to 777, the files and directories created there will be 775.

See you!