Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am following a "Perfect Server" Debian how to over at howtoforge to see if it is indeed perfect and to see how it differs from what I would set ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

MyDNS vs Bind

I am following a "Perfect Server" Debian how to over at howtoforge to see if it is indeed perfect and to see how it differs from what I would set up.

Apart from some rather funky looking anti-spam / virus on the mail server the biggie so far is using the MyDNS DNS server instead of Bind. I've never heard of MyDNS so I am off to Google, but if anyone has opinions on the positives and negatives of both, I would love to hear them.

I'm going to install it anyway - as I said, I'm following the article but I like to know a bit about what I'm installing.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I've never heard of MyDNS so I am off to Google, but if anyone has opinions on the positives and negatives of both, I would love to hear them.
    I'm not familiar with MyDNS either, but one negative I see already is that it looks to very slow in development. As far as I can tell, the last release was back in Jan '06, so it's 4 years old already. That would be too slow for my own tastes.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've emailed to see if it's still active, although I'm not sure I like the idea of DNS stored in a database. It takes away the simplicity of zone files.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!