Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, im setting up a mailserver for my domain (lets cal it domain.com), its also gateway and dns server. Its on a Slackware 12.0 server. The server is relaying mails ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sendmail RCPT extremly slow when receiving mail

Hi,

im setting up a mailserver for my domain (lets cal it domain.com), its also gateway and dns server. Its on a Slackware 12.0 server.

The server is relaying mails (as it should) but when the mail is to a account on the server it locks in on RCPT.

It works until the RCTP To:..
    and then it dosent do anything for about 10 minutes.
    sudenly it works again and so on.

Sorry that I cant post the debug test - the forum thinks that it is a URL

I thought that it was the identd that timed out (for some reason) but
    define(`confTO_IDENT', `0s')dnl
    didnt help. Since it works great releaying i guess that it must have someting to do with the user recognition.
    My /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    search domain.com

/etc/mail/local-host-names
    Code:
    domain.com
    server.domain.com
    mail.domain.com
    /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

Code:
    define('confDEF_USER_ID',"8:12")dnl                                                           
    OSTYPE(linux)dnl                                                                              
    define('confAUTO_REBUILD')dnl                                                                 
    define('confTO_CONNECT','1m')dnl                                                              
    define(`confTO_IDENT', `0s')dnl                                                               
    define('PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH','/usr/bin/procmail')dnl                                         
    FEATURE(smrsh,/usr/sbin/smrsh)dnl                                                             
    FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl                                                                       
    FEATURE(`local_procmail',`',`procmail -t -Y -a $h -d $u')                                     
    FEATURE(nouucp,nospecial)dnl                                                                  
    FEATURE(always_add_domain)dnl                                                                 
    FEATURE(access_db)dnl                                                                                                                                  
    FEATURE(relay_entire_domain)dnl                                                               
    LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl                                                      
    MAILER(local)dnl                                                                              
    MAILER(smtp)dnl                                                                               
    MAILER(procmail)dnl

Banned

Dns

Almost all slow sendmail issues are DNS related.
    sendmail needs a working DNS server to lookup names.

Just Joined!
    Since i solved this a long time ago I could mention the solution.

Sendmail is marking the aliases file with a hash when using a normal hash processor - as the file is in process. That mark will not be removed by a normal script - only newaliases. That result in, when processing the file in traditional ways, the mark remains. When you send a mail, sendmail thinks that the aliases is being rebuild - and it pauses for ten minutes to give the build process time.

The solution is to use newaliases

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close