Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm currently attempt to setup a transparent proxy between my linksys router and my wifi access point. The hardware setup like the following Linksys Router --> Ubuntu PC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Squid Proxy Server

Hi everyone,

I'm currently attempt to setup a transparent proxy between my linksys router and my wifi access point.

The hardware setup like the following
    Linksys Router --> Ubuntu PC (2 Network Card) --> switch --> Access Point --> Laptop
    On the Ubuntu PC, eth0 is connected to the router, eth1 is connected to the switch

I've read on how to setup transparent proxy using squid and seems to done all setting properly. When I was about to test it, it realize that
    1) eth1 doesn't have an IP
    2) Computer connected to access point cannot obtain IP address

So as of this point, I can not test to see if my transparent proxy is working or not. So here are my questions

1) How do I make the laptop that's connected to the access point obtaining IP address from router? Do I need to setup DHCP service on Ubuntu PC and give a different IP range?
    2) Do I set a static IP for eth1? If I do, should I setup the static IP in the same range as eth0? (eth0 now is 192.168.1.0/24, should I setup eth1 within 192.168.1.0/24 or some other IP range like 192.168.200.0/24)
    3) On my Ubuntu box there is only Apache Server and Squid2 are installed, am I missing any applications?

Thank you all in advanced

You have your Ubuntu PC set up as your firewall, but you have have your DHCP service set up on the router - the other side of the firewall from both your eth1 port on your Ubuntu machine and your wireless access point.

You have a couple of possible solutions, but the easiest is probably going to be setting up the correct services on the Ubuntu machine. This especially means putting DHCP and DNS services on the Ubuntu firewall where they are available to the LAN over your eth1 network connection.

You may want also to look NAT address translations with IPTables - but if you're only wanting access to the world wide web, then a transparent (or, indeed, a non-transparent) proxy on the Ubuntu box will suffice.

An alternative would be to get an old PC, install an off-the-shelf firewall such as smoothwall and put it between your router and your lan, then let it take the strain (DNS, transparent proxy, NAT if you want, DHCP, traffic shaping, etc.) You'd only need one network card in your Ubuntu PC then, but you'd need a whole old computer (just bits left from earlier upgrades are OK though), that way you get:

Code:
    Router-->Firewall-->switch+->Ubuntu PC
                              +->Access Point-->Laptop
                              +->Any other pc/media centre/device you want.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/