Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! Was just wondering if someone could point in me in a good direction to find information on setting up VLAN on linux. Probably will be using either Fedora ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile Is there a good guide for setting up Vlan?

Hi there!

Was just wondering if someone could point in me in a good direction to find information on setting up VLAN on linux. Probably will be using either Fedora Core 11 or Ubuntu 9.10 for this little project

My idea is to make seperate VLAN's for the different internal networks i'm making at my house. This is more for practice and knowledge so that I can prepare to take various exams. I can't afford to purchase a managed switch - although I'm sure that would be the best way to go. With a limited budget a heap of donated systems I've inherited, I want to try to use what I have.

My Wireless router will also act as my primary gateway to the internet Currently it assigns IP addresses via DHCP with a few static IP's reserved for my laser network printer, my wireless computers, and game consoles (Wii and PS2)

I have an old IBM P4 computer that was donated to me almost 6 months back from where I did my internship at. It came with no power supply, Ram, HDD, CDRom, Floppy or even the cages those components sit in, not even a cpu fan. However I have all of these (except the cages) kicking all over the house in large quantities so it's not a big deal (I can make something work for holding the hdd and the cdrom if I put one in). I've installed 2gb of ram, a good cpu fan, 300watt power supply, and booted it up with Fedora 10 on a usb stick, so I know that the CPU and Mobo work fine. This is what I want to setup as my domain controller and vlan controller (if possible).

The system currently has only 1 on-board NIC - but I have several others kicking around the house ranging from 10/100 to 10/100/1000. I would like to put 3 additional PCI nic's into this unit. One of the 4 Nic's will be connected to my router to be able to connect to the internet. The other three NIC's I would like to assign IP address ranges to each of the other 3 NIC's (I can figure out the subnet myself just need to know how to setup the software side). Each of the nic's that have been assigned an IP address range would have a 4 port or an 8 port switch. Effectively this idea should be almost the same as that of a Managed switch with Vlan capability. At least in theory. In practice i'm not sure.

What I wanted was to be able to have each vlan segment into its own sub-domain. With that I would like to be able to use a remote desktop protocol to access the systems within the various sub-domains for various different configuration setups and tests. Also I want all to be able to access my printer off the main router. I'm looking to go for my various Microsoft certifications (MSITP with emphasis on security, but also in setting up and administering Exchange 2007) plus various linux certifications such as the LPIC and Ubuntu certifications. I would like to go for my CCNA soon to but I can only do so much at once lol So I would like to have my Microsoft network on one domain/vlan and my linux network on a seperate domain vlan, with options for expanding or bridging the two together. Right now i'm not concerned about the Vlan's talking to each other just so long as I can access all the vlan's through any of my wireless computers or hardwired systems that are going straight through the primary router via RDP.

If it helps any I can draw up a simple diagram of my current network and how I envision the network to look like after.

Thanks a bunch! I really think the big hurdle would be to configure the 4 network cards (3 being seperate vlan segments, and one acting as a connection to the gateway/wireless router) in the one computer. As I said i'm just looking for a guide that can assist me with this. I learn by doing

Thanks so much again!

Carlo

Just Joined!
    I think I figured out what I needed. I was thinking VLAN as in the VLAN switches without realising that there is another form of VLAN through a single interface within linux (not sure if this method works with Wndows however - and I'm going to assume it doesn't support DHCP addressing)

However I found another option that seems to be more what I was looking for: (can't submit link as its to another site - linuxquestions.org)

The information I found on here makes so much sence after going through it, and refers to setting up seperate DHCP address ranges for different physical nic's within a single machine. It at least clicked the preverbial lightbulb in my head to make me realise where I was going wrong.

However as I was researching I came across (Cant submit link as its on another site cyberciti.biz) which describes how to setup multiple vlan's through a single physical interface. My question then turns to this: using this method, can you use DHCP address range assignments? Can you bond 2 nic's together with this method to improve performance a bit?