Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i followed this guide (i cant post the url here cuz i dont got 15 posts but google SFTP on Ubuntu and Debian in 9 easy steps and its ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OpenSSH sftp chroot problem

Hello, i followed this guide (i cant post the url here cuz i dont got 15 posts but google SFTP on Ubuntu and Debian in 9 easy steps and its the first one) a few days ago and set up an sftp server no problem. The user can only see what is in there home folder which is only the examples file which is empty. Today i went to set up a 2nd ftp account for my own private use. I have it set up and all, followed exactly what he said the 2nd time around and my 2nd user is not chroot'd. I can explor the contents of the whole drive.

My fist user that works fine is "ftpuser" and the group is "sftponly" just like in the guide. My 2nd user is named "ftptaylor". Now i did have an ftp server set up with vsftpd where i had the same ftpuser account in a different group, but it was jailed to /home/ftpuser. I cant tell you how i did it, i followed a number of guides untill one worked. But could it be that the guide above does not in face jail the users, but just that my user was already jail'd?

Just Joined!
    Yeah, possible. You might want to see if you can go to the user that is jailed and change it. Let me know what it does

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhamilton084 View Post
    Yeah, possible. You might want to see if you can go to the user that is jailed and change it. Let me know what it does
    and changing what? The jail? how would i do this?